Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Found it easer than STEP III. Tried 1,2,3,5,6,8, but only half completing 5,6 and 8. I realised in the last 10 minutes that my solution to 1 was wrong although I did manage to rectify it, I think. I approached it by setting x=(y+1)^2, though there probably is an easier way. I think this paper was easier that others set before, at least the 2003 and 2002 papers, so the grade boundaries will probably be slightly higher than normal.

ReputationRep:
    i thought it was ok except i'm more worried now that the examiners wont mark one of my questions because i didnt start it on a new page. this could make the difference between me getting into cambridge or not. do you think this will cause me a problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drederick Tatum)
    i thought it was ok except i'm more worried now that the examiners wont mark one of my questions because i didnt start it on a new page. this could make the difference between me getting into cambridge or not. do you think this will cause me a problem?
    I dont think it will be a problem. I did 1, 2, 3, 5, 7 and 8 in full although probably there are a few errors in there. I did 1 by squaring twice, factorising the quartic then checking the solutions worked. In (i) 0,1, 4 worked, in (ii) 0, 1 worked, in (iii) 0, 4 worked

ReputationRep:
    oh no... i messed up bad did 1,2,3 full but messed up 5,6 and 8

i started with q6 for some reason. did half of it then realised i was wasting my time and went on to 2. couldnt finish q5, and my answer to q8 was just a load of ........ i duno what i was thinking... i couldnt get an answer apart from x = 0 so just made one up that worked better ! wtf??

dont think i can have higher than a 2 in either papers now

ReputationRep:
    I thought the paper was quite tricky actually...

I did q. 1,5,8,12,13 and 14 completely, although i only realised how to do 5 in the last 10 mins so i might not have the right answer. For q.1 phil, i got only 1 and 4 worked for the final part, 0 didn't work.

If anyone did 14, did you get 2/11 for the final part?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beauford)
    I thought the paper was quite tricky actually...

I did q. 1,5,8,12,13 and 14 completely, although i only realised how to do 5 in the last 10 mins so i might not have the right answer. For q.1 phil, i got only 1 and 4 worked for the final part, 0 didn't work.

If anyone did 14, did you get 2/11 for the final part?
    howd you do the last part of 5 ?? do you differentiate with respect to t or somehting? (i couldnt do anything beyond the first part so had to move on ) actually, i even got stuck on the first bit.... i forgot to integrate by parts for about 10 minutes and was just sat there going round in loops :confused:

was gonna do q12 but dont know how to get the mode in pdf questions... please say it wasnt in the formula sheet or i'll kick myself.

got 0,1,4; 0,1; 0,1,4 for q1 but i was in a rush at this point and just ended up guessing the last part cos the equation looked the same as the middle but 4 worked, then i got confused as to why some answers worked and others didnt and just stuffed anything down; i should have started with this question to ease myself into it - starting with the vectors one and not completing really demotivated me

what was your answer to part 8???

ReputationRep:
    what do you all think i will get?

in question 1 i squared twice and then checked all the solutions - right method, but when i was checking x=4 for the last part i made an error, and so x=4 was not part of my solution.

in question 2 i managed to show the first part, got -2<x<-1 and 1<x<2 for the second. For the third part i got S=2root(alpha^2 - 8) and the last part was a hyperbola, i think.

question 3. I think i got all of this except for the second sketch - ran out of time.

question 5. Did all the first parts and i think i ended up with A=-2 and B=0

question 7. Started this, did the very first part, then realised this would involve adding etc, so left the rest.

question 12. i think i got all the parts right for this, because most of the question was asking you to show this, prove that etc.

question 14. Proved the very first result, nothing else.

....be reassuring

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drederick Tatum)
    what do you all think i will get?

in question 1 i squared twice and then checked all the solutions - right method, but when i was checking x=4 for the last part i made an error, and so x=4 was not part of my solution.

in question 2 i managed to show the first part, got -2<x<-1 and 1<x<2 for the second. For the third part i got S=2root(alpha^2 - 8) and the last part was a hyperbola, i think.

question 3. I think i got all of this except for the second sketch - ran out of time.

question 5. Did all the first parts and i think i ended up with A=-2 and B=0

question 7. Started this, did the very first part, then realised this would involve adding etc, so left the rest.

question 12. i think i got all the parts right for this, because most of the question was asking you to show this, prove that etc.

question 14. Proved the very first result, nothing else.

....be reassuring
    your q7 (either that or q14) prob wont count cos they only mark the best 6.

1 i think will prob be good though they could be strict on it... it seems an easy question so theres probably very subtle points theyre looking for

2 i got the same for S, got a parabola starting at x=2root2? so this prob good too

q3, did you do the miss out the second sketch or the second and the third sketch? the final two probably carried quite a few marks but i dont know this for sure.

q5 my friend got A=0, B=pi but she wasnt sure about this , ive no idea because i couldnt do the last bit ... so cant really comment on this. but even getting a wrong answer would still get quite a few marks in a question like this cos its the thought

12 is good

14, probably only a few marks for this.

apparently about 4 good answers for a 1 so looks like a 1 or higher , though looking at your answers im thinking your estimating that already

but well done on getting so many answers! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone here doing STEP here just for the sake of it i.e. it's not needed in their conditional offers???!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I found STEP 3 easier than STEP 2..............STEP 2 had sooooooo many graph sketching questions, which i hate!!!! Did anyone else find STEP 3 easier??

ReputationRep:
    yep, i think step III was easier. (but i like graph sketching questions) though i messed up the bits leading up to the graph sketching in q8 on both papers so my sketches in these are probably wrong.

however, the more and more i think about it the worse i feel ive done in paper III. when i came out of paper 2 i felt much worse than when i came out of 3; i think my grades will be similar for both, though i found III easier and think i should have done better on it.

the other girl who was doing step at coll has an offer from Oxford so is just doing them for the sake of it.

i dont have a STEP offer but will reapply to cambridge depending on my step grades (which incidently, im now thinking wont be high enough )

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely bloody awful. Depressed to hell.

Mod Expression - Language

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It'sPhil...)
    I dont think it will be a problem. I did 1, 2, 3, 5, 7 and 8 in full although probably there are a few errors in there. I did 1 by squaring twice, factorising the quartic then checking the solutions worked. In (i) 0,1, 4 worked, in (ii) 0, 1 worked, in (iii) 0, 4 worked
    AghhhHhhH. I knew to check the solutions because of the issues surrounding squaring . I checked them mentally. And yet there's no sign of it on paper. I'm such a bloody goon

ReputationRep:
    you mean you had to write down your checking it ??? :confused: oh dear... (didnt even check the last one, left x=1 in there but even now i can see it dont work, it was freaking 1+1 , what was i thinking)

am also depressed hope everyones results go well; i mean unless you handed in a blank sheet then you cant know for sure how youve done !

....but in a way its the not knowing thats the hardest part. i mean it could be anything !

really contradicting myself here.

i just hope that a grade 1 comes out of atleeeast one of them. but seems unlikely the more and more i think about what ive done. just hope the boundaries are low. whats the likeliness of this?

ReputationRep:
    No I wrote down possible x: ....

then checked in my head which ones were consistent, then didn't write anything else and moved on.

ReputationRep:
    I might have to wave my Cambridge place goodbye following my STEP exams. STEP I should have been straightforward, but I think I had a bad day. I expected to find STEP II tricky, but I don't think I'll even get a 2, which I needed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sat)
    I might have to wave my Cambridge place goodbye following my STEP exams. STEP I should have been straightforward, but I think I had a bad day. I expected to find STEP II tricky, but I don't think I'll even get a 2, which I needed...
    Fancy adding me to MSN? [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Fancy adding me to MSN? [email protected]
    i went to the clare college open day and the maths DOS said that ur year was an especially good one and that more offers were given than usual so u r thought of very highly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lgs98jonee)
    i went to the clare college open day and the maths DOS said that ur year was an especially good one and that more offers were given than usual so u r thought of very highly
    Yes they sent me a letter informing me of that, but unfortunately it means they *need* people to fail STEP =P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Yes they sent me a letter informing me of that, but unfortunately it means they *need* people to fail STEP =P
    i sincerely hope that u get in....let us know

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 5, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.