Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    With STEP II and III over, I'm almost certain that I haven't got the 1,2 I needed for Cambridge. In yesterday's paper I answered 2 full questions (2 and 3), and fragments of others. Q1 was annoying- it seemed an easy enough question (I knew you had to square twice and factorise x times a cubic, but I couldn't find one of the roots to divide by). Unfortunately this took up a good 45mins. From last year's mark scheme this will probably mean a 3, leaving me with a max of 2,3 to aim for. If not enough get the required grades, what would you say are my chances of being offered a place are?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Yes they sent me a letter informing me of that, but unfortunately it means they *need* people to fail STEP =P
    I think I failed STEP III. There, I'm sure that'll make you slightly happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by el GaZZa)
    With STEP II and III over, I'm almost certain that I haven't got the 1,2 I needed for Cambridge. In yesterday's paper I answered 2 full questions (2 and 3), and fragments of others. Q1 was annoying- it seemed an easy enough question (I knew you had to square twice and factorise x times a cubic, but I couldn't find one of the roots to divide by). Unfortunately this took up a good 45mins. From last year's mark scheme this will probably mean a 3, leaving me with a max of 2,3 to aim for. If not enough get the required grades, what would you say are my chances of being offered a place are?
    It depends a lot on how everybody else does. If they can fill the places with people that met the requirements then you are out of luck. However they have access to your scripts and if many people missed their offer, they can take a look at your papers and see how yyou did, and they may still take you. To be honest, its not worth worrying about because its out of your hands and you have probably done better than you fear

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you're right. I think I can do far worse than to just forget about the whole thing and enjoy the summer, and worry about it when results day comes. Thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    nooooooooooooooooooooo, no no no no no

on friday just realised what i did and its been bugging me all weekend...

i integrated 1/(1-x) to -lnx !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused: why???????????????? the funny thing wasa when my answer lead to x=0 which was clearly wrong, i kept going back and checking and couldnt seem to see a problem with what id done!!!!? when it was there staring me in the face!

when i couldnt get an answer that seemed right , i just made one up that seemed sensible.... and i actually got the right answer, but it looks like ive just quoted a result and cant actually do the integration.

also, for the last part of the question, i drew n = 3 continuing above x=1 !!!! but it cant be greater than x = 1

arghh. ive made such a mess of that question and i could have done quite well on it apart from stupid (but incredibly big) mistakes.

how many marks do you think il lose, especially for the -lnx that should of been -ln(1-x) ???????

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really sure to be honest, for that question, I had x as the vertical axis and t as the horizontal axis, so i ended up x = 1 - e^-t, and then x = sin[t]. I think you'll lose a few marks for the first part and maybe 1 for the last part, you should still get at least half marks imo.

ReputationRep:
    yey i got x = 1 - e^t and x = sint

just feel so stupid for that integration. i mean its p1/p2 stuff !!

i just lost it like i did at the end of the p5 exam.

thats it... i plan to get atleast 9 hours sleep before every exam i ever do from now on. not making a mistake like that again. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Well it's not quite the same but if it makes you feel better I differentiated 1/x to get lnx on the p4 paper (interestingly, that was on the back of about 5hrs sleep- I think I know what my news year's resolution is!)

ReputationRep:
    How will I do with this? I did 2,3,5,6,7,8 as follows:

2. I got the first bit, then -2<x<-1 or 1<x<2, then s = 2sqrt(a^2-8) then a hyperbola.

3. I proved everything, and I did all sketches; they weren't terribly neat or to scale, but they had all the correct features wrt roots, maxima and minima etc. Will I lose a lot of marks for this?

5. I did everything, got A = -2, B = 0.

6. I only finished the first part and did about half of the second part. Is this essentially dead?

7. I was doing everything fine but I made an arithmetic error near the end that made me conclude that the interval was [pi/2, 9pi/16] rather than [9pi/16, 5pi/8]. Will I lose all credit over that?

8. The first part is straightforward, the second is (I can't really remember) something like x = sin t, and the curves are n = 3 above n = 2 above n = 1.

I need a 1. Any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by royalchicken)
    How will I do with this? I did 2,3,5,6,7,8 as follows:

2. I got the first bit, then -2<x<-1 or 1<x<2, then s = 2sqrt(a^2-8) then a hyperbola.

3. I proved everything, and I did all sketches; they weren't terribly neat or to scale, but they had all the correct features wrt roots, maxima and minima etc. Will I lose a lot of marks for this?

5. I did everything, got A = -2, B = 0.

6. I only finished the first part and did about half of the second part. Is this essentially dead?

7. I was doing everything fine but I made an arithmetic error near the end that made me conclude that the interval was [pi/2, 9pi/16] rather than [9pi/16, 5pi/8]. Will I lose all credit over that?

8. The first part is straightforward, the second is (I can't really remember) something like x = sin t, and the curves are n = 3 above n = 2 above n = 1.

I need a 1. Any chance?
    Safe 1 in my opinion (4+ completes), possibly/probably an S

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 5, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.