Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would it be in appropriate to talk to a GP about this issue Watch

ReputationRep:
    I got involved with a very toxic and phsycologically abusive girl who i became obsessive over and it was very bad for my health. I know it sounds petty but it honestly was a horrible experience that I'm still struggling to understand

Would venting my head out to a doctor be a good or bad idea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mvpmb)
    I got involved with a very toxic and phsycologically abusive girl who i became obsessive over and it was very bad for my health. I know it sounds petty but it honestly was a horrible experience that I'm still struggling to understand

Would venting my head out to a doctor be a good or bad idea?
    Yes. They may be able to help you see someone you can speak to, like a counsellor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    Yes. They may be able to help you see someone you can speak to, like a counsellor.
    Yeah I would like that but it's just like going to a GP about a social issue just feels awkward

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mvpmb)
    Yeah I would like that but it's just like going to a GP about a social issue just feels awkward
    They are trained to deal with these sorts of things. I suggest you go.

ReputationRep:
    They are trained to deal with these sorts of things. I suggest you go.
    Is a GP the best path or would I be better off fessing up to my family or even teachers?

ReputationRep:
    clearly this is affecting your health... it is as valid as breaking your leg... the doctor will not mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mvpmb)
    Is a GP the best path or would I be better off fessing up to my family or even teachers?
    A GP, 100% over those other options. A GP is bound by a policy of confidentiality. They have experience. Your teachers are normal people - it's unlikely they have come across such things and it would probably be something they have to pursue considering the abusive angle. Parents would be like 'what?!' and blow it up.

ReputationRep:
    A GP, 100% over those other options. A GP is bound by a policy of confidentiality. They have experience. Your teachers are normal people - it's unlikely they have come across such things and it would probably be something they have to pursue considering the abusive angle. Parents would be like 'what?!' and blow it up.
    Yeah your right. I'm quite a self contained person even letting my best friend know was a mountain to climb but I guess I'm just going to have to force my self, I have exams coming up and I need a clear mind. Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    if its affecting your mental health, your gp is a totally viable and good option. they cannot tell anything you say to them to anyone unless they believe that you are at risk of hurting yourself or others - so it is all confidential.
    they can refer you to other services that can help you better, but your gp is an excelleny first step and i recommend it.

im sorry to hear about your experience by the way, op. i hope youre doing okay and that things look up more soon. hang in there, man.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.