Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey.To get an A* do i have to include rhythm/poem structure in my poem essay(i do conflict).They are my weakest techniques

ReputationRep:
    bump.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blancosdos)
    Hey.To get an A* do i have to include rhythm/poem structure in my poem essay(i do conflict).They are my weakest techniques
    Hiya!
    My teacher advised me to comment on structure as much as possible because a lot of students find it difficult and leave it out, so including some structure comments will make your essay stand out for the examiner. I've concentrated on character & voice so I can't give you many specific comments on conflict, but rhyme is an easy one, and anywhere you can comment on enjambment or punctuation - do it!

For rhythm, just try to think to read it in your head, think about how you're reading it and then look at why you're reading it like that. So if you feel like you're reading it slowly, it might be because they've used lots of punctuation or complex language to slow you down on purpose, and then you can comment on that.

If it's an area you struggle with, maybe focus on learning some structural features of the poems before you go into the exam as language features are easier to pick out, or when you're picking quotes actively try and pick ones where you see a structural feature you can comment on.

It's not a necessity to get an A*, but on practice essays where I've lost more marks my teacher has usually put 'try to comment on structure' as the area for improvement. I'm sure you'll do fine either way! Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    You don't HAVE to, but it would definitely increase your chances of getting an A*

Here's the mark scheme: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-MS-JUN15.PDF (that is if you're doing AQA)
    Most, if not all, are going to write about the language so writing something original about the structure or form will help you stand out.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaptErin)
    Hiya!
    My teacher advised me to comment on structure as much as possible because a lot of students find it difficult and leave it out, so including some structure comments will make your essay stand out for the examiner. I've concentrated on character & voice so I can't give you many specific comments on conflict, but rhyme is an easy one, and anywhere you can comment on enjambment or punctuation - do it!

For rhythm, just try to think to read it in your head, think about how you're reading it and then look at why you're reading it like that. So if you feel like you're reading it slowly, it might be because they've used lots of punctuation or complex language to slow you down on purpose, and then you can comment on that.

If it's an area you struggle with, maybe focus on learning some structural features of the poems before you go into the exam as language features are easier to pick out, or when you're picking quotes actively try and pick ones where you see a structural feature you can comment on.

It's not a necessity to get an A*, but on practice essays where I've lost more marks my teacher has usually put 'try to comment on structure' as the area for improvement. I'm sure you'll do fine either way! Hope this helps
    Yeah i love analysis and imagarey and language yet i am clueless of iambic pentameter and Diabolical dactyl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luciie)
    You don't HAVE to, but it would definitely increase your chances of getting an A*

Here's the mark scheme: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-MS-JUN15.PDF (that is if you're doing AQA)
    Most, if not all, are going to write about the language so writing something original about the structure or form will help you stand out.

Good luck!
    Yeah i am okay with form,yet i hate talking about iamic tentrameter etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i am okay with form,yet i hate talking about iamic tentrameter etc.
    Isn't it a 10 beat syllable that gives the impression of a heart beat
    That's what my teacher told me lol

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i love analysis and imagarey and language yet i am clueless of iambic pentameter and Diabolical dactyl
    You don't have to go that complex if you don't want to; it might not apply so much for conflict, but in character and voice I can think of two that are written as elegies and two that use the form of a sonnet ironically; maybe look through the 'structure and form' section of the BBC Bitesize revision notes for conflict:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...oetryconflict/

If I remember correctly from when we briefly studied conflict in year 10, I think one of them had lines that decreased in length as the poem continued, and 'next to of course god america i' is, ironically, tightly structured and a sonnet. Even just commenting on those kinds of features will make you stand out and show some real revision and research more than searching for language features on the day of the exam.

The literature exams tend to have low grade boundaries because people find them difficult, so I wouldn't stress about it too much anyway hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    It would make your answer stand out by I believe the answer is no. The mark scheme states language and/or structure and/or form. So you wouldn't get marked down for only doing one of those. Some questions specifically ask for something like imagery or form.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.