The Student Room Group

Changing degree at university

Hi guys,

I want to give an insight into things before I carry on. So last year I was at the university of Liverpool studying computer science however I had severe back pains that stopped me from walking and a whole load of medical issues that meant I missed a lot of my studies. On top of this, I also hated the course (computer science). With all these issues I dropped out.

Now, I am in my first year at a good university, studying business management. I really feel as though this degree is not structured properly and I am not enjoying it much. On top of this, I feel embarrassed when I tell people that I study this. I want to restart first year, studying politics.

There are a few problems, the main one is age. I am currently 22 going for 23 end of this year. If I choose to restart then this will mean graduating very late. Time is the biggest issue for me. I haven't taken many opportunities in my first year and in a way it feels like its already been a waste.

Could anyone give me any advice on what is best to do?
Will employers ask me why I have graduated so late? If so, will this affect my employability?

Thank you guys,
sorry about the life story :colondollar:
Original post by coldworld
Hi guys,

I want to give an insight into things before I carry on. So last year I was at the university of Liverpool studying computer science however I had severe back pains that stopped me from walking and a whole load of medical issues that meant I missed a lot of my studies. On top of this, I also hated the course (computer science). With all these issues I dropped out.

Now, I am in my first year at a good university, studying business management. I really feel as though this degree is not structured properly and I am not enjoying it much. On top of this, I feel embarrassed when I tell people that I study this. I want to restart first year, studying politics.

There are a few problems, the main one is age. I am currently 22 going for 23 end of this year. If I choose to restart then this will mean graduating very late. Time is the biggest issue for me. I haven't taken many opportunities in my first year and in a way it feels like its already been a waste.

Could anyone give me any advice on what is best to do?
Will employers ask me why I have graduated so late? If so, will this affect my employability?

Thank you guys,
sorry about the life story :colondollar:

So you've done one year of a Computer Science degree, one year of a Business Management degree, and now you want to start a Politics degree? You won't get a student loan for the first year if you start a new degree, you will have to pay for it yourself. Can you afford that?

Lots of people start university in their mid-20s, employers will not care about your age.
Reply 2
Don't know about the logistics of it, but I do know that, if it were possible to change, employers wouldn't care in the slightest at what age you graduated. If anything, it shows that you've clearly thought about it, and that you recognised it wasn't the right course for you. :smile: Don't worry about it :smile:

Quick Reply