The Student Room Group

Pension Lump Sum

One of my parents received their first lump sum for their pension this year. But due to me being on a current year income assessment they need conformation of this, which will mean I've been overpaid and mean I get a lot less money next year.

My parents are very uncooperative with me and don't provide me any financial support whilst I'm at uni, and due to the situation I will now be expected to pay money back that I simply do not have.

A job is possible and I will be looking for one but I need a plan B if that doesn't happen.

Are there grants available for people whose parents don't help them out financially at all?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump, just calculated what I will owe and what I will get next year.

I'll owe back £3000 and my loan is about £1800 short of my rent.

So you know if anybody would like to explain how any of this is gonna be possible that'd be great as otherwise it looks like I will have to drop out of university.
Reply 2
Original post by D.MCK
Bump, just calculated what I will owe and what I will get next year.

I'll owe back £3000 and my loan is about £1800 short of my rent.

So you know if anybody would like to explain how any of this is gonna be possible that'd be great as otherwise it looks like I will have to drop out of university.

Unfortunately there is no easy way around this situation. Most unis have hardship funds and you could try that, but they're not intended to make up a shortfall that your parents should be paying. I wouldn't be optimistic.

Plan A sounds good. The only idea I have is that you need to work through the summer to try and build up some savings and get a part-time job during term time.

You could also ask your Student Union for advice. Yours is by no means an unusual situation.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending