Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Greatest Acting Performances in Film Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking about this question a lot over the past few days, and I realise that it is all extremely subjective, but that's what makes it all the more interesting to delve into after all.

I can think of a few performances that stick out in my mind, including Daniel Day Lewis as Daniel Plainview in 'There Will be Blood,' and Al Pacino in 'The Godfather' as Michael Corleone. You could seriously write essays about the development of these characters, and after repeat viewings of the movies themselves, I love to pick out all the little nuances that the actors brought to their roles.

Do you have any favourites yourselves, and why?

ReputationRep:
    Ethan Hawke in Dead Poets Society, I might be a bit biased due to it being my favourite film of all time but he really was wonderful how he was able to play Todd, the quiet, shy student lacking in confidence & then steadily growing in confidence thanks to the tutelage of Mr Keating. The ending was just the coming together of all that, brilliant!

Also I loved Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump, Robin Williams in DPS, GWH, Jack & Mrs Doubtfire, Heath Ledger & Joseph Gordon Levitt in 10 Things I Hate About You, Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting & We Bought A Zoo, Jim Carrey in Ace Ventura & The Mask, Judd Nelson in The Breakfast Club & Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley in The Spectacular Now. Those are just some of my other favourite films haha, but I really enjoyed their acting in all of them, was fantastic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    Ethan Hawke in Dead Poets Society, I might be a bit biased due to it being my favourite film of all time but he really was wonderful how he was able to play Todd, the quiet, shy student lacking in confidence & then steadily growing in confidence thanks to the tutelage of Mr Keating. The ending was just the coming together of all that, brilliant!

Also I loved Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump, Robin Williams in DPS, GWH, Jack & Mrs Doubtfire, Heath Ledger & Joseph Gordon Levitt in 10 Things I Hate About You, Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting & We Bought A Zoo, Jim Carrey in Ace Ventura & The Mask, Judd Nelson in The Breakfast Club & Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley in The Spectacular Now. Those are just some of my other favourite films haha, but I really enjoyed their acting in all of them, was fantastic!
    Blimey! Well I'm grateful for such a thorough response! Also you've reminded me of performances that I hadn't even thought of before, so that's awesome. I had no idea that you liked Dead Poets Society so much as well. What makes it your favourite of all time?

ReputationRep:
    It probably isn't the greatest but DiCaprio in Django during the dinner table scene was apparently impromptu (he literally cut his hand) so I find it very impressive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhimsicalSloth)
    Blimey! Well I'm grateful for such a thorough response! Also you've reminded me of performances that I hadn't even thought of before, so that's awesome. I had no idea that you liked Dead Poets Society so much as well. What makes it your favourite of all time?
    No worries! It's just that I'm quite enthusiastic about films, mainly just drama & comedy though.

Well it's mainly my favourite as it's the one that has touched me the most personally & was just really thought provoking! The others are really good though as well, if you haven't seen any of them I recommend a watch!

ReputationRep:
    Jack Nicholson (A few good men)

(Original post by Student403)
    It probably isn't the greatest but DiCaprio in Django during the dinner table scene was apparently impromptu (he literally cut his hand) so I find it very impressive
    I was going to say DiCaprio in "The Wolf on Wall Street" he was pretty amazing in that!

OP: Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump, Alan Rickman in Harry Potter etc there are too many great performances

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZuluK)
    I was going to say DiCaprio in "The Wolf on Wall Street" he was pretty amazing in that!

OP: Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump, Alan Rickman in Harry Potter etc there are too many great performances
    Ah I haven't seen that yet but all your others are class!

(Original post by Student403)
    Ah I haven't seen that yet but all your others are class!
    Omg he's amazing in that film! He plays "dark characters" so much better than the romantic ones. You'll honestly love it...

And thank you

ReputationRep:
    Aaron Eckhart in The Dark Knight.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    For me...

Daniel Day Lewis - My Left Foot, There Will Be Blood
    Robert De Niro - Taxi Driver, Raging Bull
    Marlon Brando - On the Waterfront, The Godfather
    Tom Hanks - Forrest Gump
    Martin Sheen - Apocalypse Now
    Anthony Hopkins - The Silence of the Lambs
    Ben Kingsley - Gandhi
    Samuel L. Jackson - Pulp Fiction
    Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight

and many more

(Original post by Indeterminate)
    For me...

Daniel Day Lewis - My Left Foot, There Will Be Blood
    Robert De Niro - Taxi Driver, Raging Bull
    Marlon Brando - On the Waterfront, The Godfather
    Tom Hanks - Forrest Gump
    Martin Sheen - Apocalypse Now
    Anthony Hopkins - The Silence of the Lambs
    Ben Kingsley - Gandhi
    Samuel L. Jackson - Pulp Fiction

and many more
    Yes! Great performances! Though loved Anthony Hopkins in "Hannibal" I think it was.

Oh and Kevin Spacey in "The Usual Suspects"

ReputationRep:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ZuluK)
    Yes! Great performances! Though loved Anthony Hopkins in "Hannibal" I think it was.
    :five:

Oh and Kevin Spacey in "The Usual Suspects"
    Oh yes! :ahee:

And if we're talking about fairly recent films then I must say that I loved Leo in TWOWS and The Revenant

(Original post by Indeterminate)
    :five:
    Oh yes! :ahee:

And if we're talking about fairly recent films then I must say that I loved Leo in TWOWS and The Revenant
    Yep TWOWS was amazing! And The Great Gatsby... He was soooo good! And he deserved the Oscar he got! :yep:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ZuluK)
    Yep TWOWS was amazing! And The Great Gatsby... He was soooo good! And he deserved the Oscar he got! :yep:
    Agreed

PRSOM btw

ReputationRep:
    Tom Hardy - Bronson, Locke, The Drop, The Revenant
    Leo DiCaprio - The Revenant, Wolf Of Wall Street, The Aviator
    Daniel Day Lewis - There Will Be Blood, Gangs Of New York
    Javier Bardem - Skyfall,
    Tom Cruise - Born On The Fourth Of July
    Dustin Hoffman - Rain Man
    Tom Hanks - Cast Away & The Terminal
    Denzel Washington - Training Day, Flight, Glory
    Will Smith - The Pursuit Of Happyness
    Robert De Niro - King Of Comedy, Once Upon A Time In America, Goodfellas etc
    Angelina Jolie - Changeling
    Charlize Theron - Monster
    Lupita Nyong'o - 12 Years A Slave
    Matt Damon - Good Will Hunting, Talented Mr Ripley
    Robin Williams (RIP) - Patch Adams, Bicentennial Man, One Hour Photo

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.