The Student Room Group

Medicine in uni

I only picked my GCSEs this year ( I'll be doing them in 2016-2018) but I'm really interested in studying medicine in uni and I just wanted to know if there is anything I can do to increase my chances of getting into medicine. Also if you have any suggestions for universities I should think of applying to I would really like to hear them.
Original post by Laurenkate789
I only picked my GCSEs this year ( I'll be doing them in 2016-2018) but I'm really interested in studying medicine in uni and I just wanted to know if there is anything I can do to increase my chances of getting into medicine. Also if you have any suggestions for universities I should think of applying to I would really like to hear them.

At the moment you should probably work on getting the GCSE grades you want, and also maybe research more about medicine etc.

When you start your A levels I would highly recommend you doing most of your work experience in your first year of study. This can range from charity shop work to shadowing at a hospital.

During the summer (that is, if things haven't changed since then) You'll have to take what's called a UKCAT- again, you've got some time till you do this so you don't need to look much into it now.

If you are considering Oxford, Leeds, UCL, Imperial, Cambridge and a few others I've missed, you'll be required to do what's called a BMAT - but that would be at the beginning of year 13.

This is just a quick overview of what prep you are required to do to apply for medicine :smile:

There are lots of useful links here, it's worth taking an hour or two to read through them :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

Hello,

It's great that you already know that you want to study Medicine so early, as there are definitely lots of things that you can do, or plan doing, to boost your application.

First things first, try and get some work experience or extra curricular activities that reflect skills that a doctor might need. As you may not be 16 yet (as you haven't done your GCSEs), this could be doing stuff like the following:
- being a 'study-buddy' to a younger student or students at your school
- volunteer tutoring
- joining your school's medical society (or similar), or starting one up
- seeing if you might be able to secure some volunteer work (charity shops etc)

As you may not be older than 16, you may find the above a bit difficult to secure.

However, you could also just do some general research into the sorts of work experience you can apply for now in order to think about what you might apply for when you're 16.

Check out this page in our free Application Guide about work experience, for working our your next steps.

Regarding universities to apply to, it depends on your grades, whether you're interested in studying in a city like London, or in more campus based unis etc.

Plus, you need to think about course structure. Universities teach Medicine in difference ways:
- traditional courses
- Integrated courses
- Problem Based Learning courses (PBL)

So be sure to research into the learning styles above, and see which is best suited to you!

You can see all of the medical schools' entry requirements, success ratios and teaching structures by using the Medical School Comparison tool.

Finally, you could try and get in touch with a current medical student, perhaps one from your school, and get talking to them! Ask about what it's really like to study Medicine, what's difficult, what's easy, etc. Admissions tutors want to see that a candidate is realistic about what to expect when studying Medicine, and that getting a place at university doesn't meet that you are immediately going to cure cancer.

Remember to jot down notes on all of your experiences & conversations, as they will come in useful for personal statement writing and interviews!

We hope the above helps,
The Medic Portal
Thanks for all your help and advice. I know it's a bit early to be thinking about university but I really appreciate everything you've suggested.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending