Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really sure how to word this question. I'm taking maths and social subjects (history,modern studies, geography) for my last year of high school, but I have a gut feeling I'm making the wrong choice about stepping away from science. This year I'm predicted all A's in maths, chemistry, biology, history and english. I would say overall I enjoy history the most and chemistry the least but I really don't want to make a mistake about what to take and then go on to study at uni.
    I'm not sure if this really makes sense, but I was wondering if anyone else had felt the same at some point, sciences seem more epiphanic almost, whereas social sciences just don't. but I enjoy them more.

ReputationRep:
    Science subjects are very academically rigorous, but be mindful of how much you enjoy a subject before you commit to it. I should've taken History personally as opposed to 3 sciences and maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucy713)
    I'm not really sure how to word this question. I'm taking maths and social subjects (history,modern studies, geography) for my last year of high school, but I have a gut feeling I'm making the wrong choice about stepping away from science. This year I'm predicted all A's in maths, chemistry, biology, history and english. I would say overall I enjoy history the most and chemistry the least but I really don't want to make a mistake about what to take and then go on to study at uni.
    I'm not sure if this really makes sense, but I was wondering if anyone else had felt the same at some point, sciences seem more epiphanic almost, whereas social sciences just don't. but I enjoy them more.
    As someone who enjoys science (and did science subjects for A levels), I'd say the sciences are very fulfilling subjects. I see it as equipping you with the basic tools to make sense of the natural world especially when with the ever increasing amount of health scares on the news.
    But then social sciences are also important (eg: history, politics, economics, psychology) because it dictates all the human aspects of the world, why people/countries/governments/economies do what they do.

The key is to strike a balance? Its all about doing the most to equip yourself to enter the real world.

ReputationRep:
    Just do the subjects you like doing. You can always do a foundation year if you want to study science at uni

But I feel you about chemistry. I do physics, chemistry, maths and history and chemistry happens to be the subject I hate the most. I like the other ones I do

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.