Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What is a BTEC? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please clarify what it is? whats BTEC HNC/HND? Is it an alternative to alevels? is it for mature students or can anyone take it?

thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    An HNC is equivalent to the 1st yr of a 3yr degree course.
    An HND is equivalent to the first 2 yrs of a 3 yr degree course.

They're both post A level courses.

BTEC HNDs and HNCs are generally taught through further education colleges while non-BTEC HNDs/Cs are taught through universityes/higher education institutions.
    thanks. one more question, so would it be possible for a person to do alevels and a BTEC HNC together for university entry at age 18?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Yes it's possible if you could find a college offering it - it probably wouldn't allow you to skip the first yr of the course though, and it would be worth contacting any universities you're interested in first to see how they would view an HNC for entrance to their course (ie to make sure that the subject matter is relevent).
    great, thats very helpful, i also wanted to know whether a btec would be awarded by a board such as edexcel in certificate format upon completion such as with alevels or whether it is separately awarded by college/uni in question. Thanks much.

ReputationRep:
    I had an HNC when I started my degree, it meant I could APEL a couple of modules. Had my HNC been more relevant then I could have APEL'd more but hey, at least i got out of 2.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.