The Student Room Group

Do you believe in God?

Scroll to see replies

It's interesting that most die-hard theists on here choose to believe based on the most basic possible version of the design argument, which is probably one of the weakest arguments for God's existence by far, as it doesn't make God's existence at all certain even if you disregard the counters.

I don't get how people can be so easily convinced.

Original post by cherryred90s
Perhaps, but that is their right. They're not harming anyone by believing.

inb4 arguments about crusades, ISIS etc.
Original post by Inexorably
Literally every philosophical argument for God has its problems so that's not gonna work guys. I think Hick perhaps offers the best view when discussing eschatalogical verification - essentially, we'll known when we die lmao.

This is the most sensible way of tackling it, really.
Does God believe in You?
Original post by Woody_Pigeon
Does God believe in You?

It'd be pretty weird if an apparently omniscient being was of the opinion that I didn't exist.
Original post by TheBirder
I understand why you don't like the idea that everything came about by chance, but it's the only explanation that works. If there is a God that designed everything, who designed the designer? If you suggest that he just came into existance or has always been, then that is an even bigger logical problem. As Dr Richard Dawkins so eloquently explains in 'The God Delusion' the improbability of a designer complex enough to design the universe is even greater than the universe happening by chance. It's been a while since I read his great book, but if I remember correctly he likens to process of gradual evolution to climbing a mountain. I assume you, like any religious person with some intelligence, believe in evolution but just think it's driven by some sort of god? If you don't actually believe in evolution, then, well... hmm. You're simply wrong. I can 100% justify evolution in all ways and I would love to persuade you that evolution is a fact.

Speaking of 'The God Delusion' by Dawkins, I would actually really, really, REALLY like to have a conversation with any theist who has read and understood the book, and still believes in some sort of god.

I would also like to say that I look around and see all of the absolutely terrible designs in nature. Here is a perfect example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO1a1Ek-HD0&ab_channel=Laeskig

"how can we explain the sheer beauty of the world if there is no God" One word. Evolution. Also, the world is a horrific place.

Yes, I do think that when we die that's it.
This concept of life being a test is very odd to me. If God is an omnipotent being, then I assume he knows everything. If he does indeed know everything, why does he need to test us? The point of a test is to find out something you don't know about someone.

It's a test for us not God- it's a test of life and how we behave in different situations and whether or not we are devoted to God. Of course, He knows because he's omnipotent and can't stop that sheer fact. Let's check the definition of test, according to Merriam Webster, "something (as a series of questions or exercises) for measuring the skill, knowledge, intelligence, capacities, or aptitudes of an individual or group"- this definition simply states as when you test someone, you categorise them based on what you think of them. But, test in religion, is much more complex. God whether or not you are going to go to the right path or the wrong path at the end of your life, He knows everything you did, all the mistakes repeated throughout your life he knows. He tests us because he wants to know how we are as we may look like a bad person to someone but spiritually we are religious. When we die, God will question what we did in our lives and He is shown to be 'Just' in the afterlife. But as God is omnibenevolent, a bad person may think they will be damned to Hell but God will keep them in Hell for the amount of sins they committed and they will be brought to Heaven as they finished serving their punishment for their sins and they are now to be rewarded.

Wow, I'm shocked you phrased a quote from Dawkins. My teacher met him and she told our class that he's the most arrogant person she ever met plus he's sexist. He indirectly told all the girls in the seminar to rethink their life and behold their traditional 'role' in society. Evolution is false because scientists argue there is no proof of it. Please, next time phrase David Hume, I think he's a much better person.

Beauty is subjective, what could be beauty for us could be ugly to me so that is slightly a weak argument. How can you regard those examples to be an evidence of poor design when we have no evidence of what their purpose truly is. Until, science has evolved, and overtakes religion, then we can explain what a poor design is.

Evolution can eat my ****.

This was fun!:smile:
Conversely, I don't know how anyone can look at the universe and believe in intelligent design.

That's the question I'm asking.

Interesting. Okay first of all no offence intending but I just don't understand how you can for eg look at the human body and not see intelligent design, it is incredibly complex yet works together perfect and to me you can't put that down to sheer coincidence. However I do believe in the Big Bang despite being Christian
Original post by harun_farah
What are your other as subjects

Media, Sociology and Govt&Politics
Original post by spv
This is going to start a war on islam.... I'd rephrase....

Rephrase for what? :s-smilie: I didn't even mention Islam
And I absolutely agree with you there. If they are not harming anyone by believing in something then I support them doing so.

"We've all got imaginary friends, I've just grown out of mine... but I'll let them believe any fairy tale they like, God love you." - Jimmy Carr.
This absolutely sums up my thoughts.

Your opinion.. Free will and all :smile:
inb4 arguments about crusades, ISIS etc.

Solely believing in a God isn't harming anyone. Choosing to use your belief as an excuse to hurt people isn't the fault of the religion you follow, it's you as the individual. You make that choice. We all have free will.
I'm not sure. But, I don't believe in the Abrahamic version of God.
Original post by Defraction
Evolution is false because scientists argue there is no proof of it.

...could we not therefore also say, God is false because there is no proof of it?

Be careful with your wording mate, your arguments are bad enough I wouldn't want you to set yourself up for complete failure.
It's a test for us not God- it's a test of life and how we behave in different situations and whether or not we are devoted to God. Of course, He knows because he's omnipotent and can't stop that sheer fact. Let's check the definition of test, according to Merriam Webster, "something (as a series of questions or exercises) for measuring the skill, knowledge, intelligence, capacities, or aptitudes of an individual or group"- this definition simply states as when you test someone, you categorise them based on what you think of them. But, test in religion, is much more complex. God whether or not you are going to go to the right path or the wrong path at the end of your life, He knows everything you did, all the mistakes repeated throughout your life he knows. He tests us because he wants to know how we are as we may look like a bad person to someone but spiritually we are religious. When we die, God will question what we did in our lives and He is shown to be 'Just' in the afterlife. But as God is omnibenevolent, a bad person may think they will be damned to Hell but God will keep them in Hell for the amount of sins they committed and they will be brought to Heaven as they finished serving their punishment for their sins and they are now to be rewarded.

But why does god need to test how we behave in different situations and whether or not we are devoted. Surely he already knows how we will behave in any possible situation so why does he bother?

Wow, I'm shocked you phrased a quote from Dawkins. My teacher met him and she told our class that he's the most arrogant person she ever met plus he's sexist. He indirectly told all the girls in the seminar to rethink their life and behold their traditional 'role' in society. Evolution is false because scientists argue there is no proof of it. Please, next time phrase David Hume, I think he's a much better person.

Have you read a single thing written by Dawkins? On all of the rest of what you say about his sexism or arrogance. I don't believe you. I'm always happy to be proven wrong of course...

Beauty is subjective, what could be beauty for us could be ugly to me so that is slightly a weak argument. How can you regard those examples to be an evidence of poor design when we have no evidence of what their purpose truly is. Until, science has evolved, and overtakes religion, then we can explain what a poor design is.

Fair enough, you can ignore my point on the world being a horrific place. I still thinks it isn't particularly beautiful, but fair enough that's subjective.
I would however say that science has definitely evolved and overtaken religion.

Evolution can eat my ****.

Well, well, well *rubs hands with glee* where can I start? Since I could do this argument from pretty much any point, what about evolution do you not believe in/agree with/think doesn't explain things properly. Would you simply like an argument that proves how evolution works?

This was fun!:smile:

Yes, it's very rare that a theist will civilly discuss their ideas being questioned.
Evolution is false because scientists argue there is no proof of it.

There is a hell of a lot more proof for evolution than there is for all religions combined.
That's because there is no proof for any religion but lots of proof for evolution. Your statement is false.
No.

Mikhail Bakunin

“The idea of God implies the abdication of human reason and justice; it is the most decisive negation of human liberty and necessarily ends in the enslavement of mankind both in theory and practice.”

Mikhail Bakunin

“If God really existed, it would be necessary to abolish Him.”

Original post by ameehannah
Interesting. Okay first of all no offence intending but I just don't understand how you can for eg look at the human body and not see intelligent design, it is incredibly complex yet works together perfect and to me you can't put that down to sheer coincidence. However I do believe in the Big Bang despite being Christian

Yes it is incredibly complex, but you can see how it is built up of smaller parts that evolved over hundreds of millions of years. There is a difference between coincidence and evolution, coincidence got it started, but evolution took it from there.

If you do believe in intelligent design, what created the designer? It would be an even more improbable for a designer as complex as that to come out by sheer coincidence.
Original post by mojojojo101
No.

The points being made on this thread by theists so well constructed, thorough and thought out :congrats:
Original post by mojojojo101
No.

The points you include in your posts, give reasons of why God is a horrible and evil creature, they don't give anything for or against believing in his existence.
I agree with you of course, but I'm just pointing that out.
Hmm, I see David Hume has influenced your point of thinking

Firstly, even though David Hume, to some extent does not think God is the explanation for the world, he still argues that there is a designer of the world and that designer is very powerful and highly intelligent, but need not be God. The obvious thing here is that David Hume still think there is a someone, who he calls a designer, is behind the obvious creation of the world. In my opinion, God is just a definition of what people hold of the divine, purposeful intelligent transcendent being that must be a centre point of every single individual's life.

Secondly, you haven't encountered death so you can't just assume that when you die that's it. Plus, the major thing all Abrahamic religions have in common is the creation of the universe and the afterlife. Islam, Judaism, Christianity and so forth all believe that we are tested by God. The Quran states: "Do you think they will be left to say 'We believe' without being put to the test(29:2). In Christianity, God showed his benevolence to His creation by sending his son, Jesus to save the believers and die for our sins. In Judaism, they argue if humans weren't given free will- the ability to choose what you want to do- then the actions will hold no religious or moral significance. For e.g. a rapist that rapes people because they are compelled to do so will be no different to a good person who gives charity because they are compelled to do so. Therefore, the fact that we have free will clearly shows why we die. We die because it's the end of our free-will orientated life and we will be tested, when it is the end of the world, by God on our actions and intentions.

Lastly, unfortunately I don't place a cliché onto a deity. My concept of a divine being is completely different from yours. We are different people, who think differently, my life is different from yours as well as my thought of thinking. There are some things, for me personally, that doesn't need an explanation. So, let's say you are a homeless person and that you are materally deprived. You have suicidal thoughts and do not understand why your life is so bad. So, you decide to go and buy a lottery ticket then you won the lottery thus giving you £1 billion pounds. You end up getting a phone call from an interview you went last week and you got the job. Your sick mum recovers and is back on her feet. So, don't you think that everything that happened must have a purpose. It could've have happened by chance as there was a continuous amount of good things that happened. The most sufficient reason for this is God. God simply in words is a purposeful designer and divine being behind the creation of the world.

I don't deem that you disregard you not believing in God but look at everywhere around you, there must be a designer behind it all. Sometimes, people shouldn't assume that they need to see proof in front of them but accept some things as they are. Like when some parents tell us not to go out at night and we decide to go out and you get mugged- then you realise you should've listened to your parents. The same applies to the existence of God.

I hope I won!!!

Sorry, I didn't even consider Hume in my arguments, so his views are unimportant in this discussion.

Yes, I haven't encountered death - but from the general scientific understanding, brain death is an end to any consciousness. It is scientifically non-nonsensical to consider any sort of afterlife in that case. That is why I will continue to hold that position unless it is properly proven to the contrary.

Although I can admit that there does seem to be a natural order in the universe, it needn't be conscious enough to be considered a divine being. Evolution is an example, because it isn't a perfect system; but rather a series of trials where certain bits survived and lived on down lineages. A designer would not make the mistakes evolution did. Your stance on a designer's need to exist relies on your awe of the world around us. But because you are such a tiny part of it, you can't (or choose not to) see the many imperfections that led to it, or remain.

And regarding your continuing free-will argument, I still don't understand the inference of its relation to the existence of a deity. If an omniscient divine being exists, what would be the point of this test? Because it already knows every outcome. That seems completely pointless.

Lastly, I don't think you understand probability. Your notion that a series of 'good' things happening points to divine intervention is just confirmation bias. Each of those events is neither 'good' nor 'bad' in a natural universe - they are just events with their own (usually mutually exclusive) probabilities of occurring. So a series of them occurring in a manner that you deem positive is nothing out of the ordinary outside of your perspective.

And, I'm sorry but having faith without proof is not something I can do. It seems like a waste of my time to me, because I don't see how the deity you describe can exist and actually implement those rules in this test they are carrying out. It is illogical to me, and all the indirect evidence I've encountered points to the contrary. So I choose to ignore any notions and live in a more present mindset. If I believed in an afterlife and spent my life worshiping a deity in a restrictive manner (like I did as a Muslim, for example); and it turned out there was no afterlife, it would've been a huge waste.
Yes it is incredibly complex, but you can see how it is built up of smaller parts that evolved over hundreds of millions of years. There is a difference between coincidence and evolution, coincidence got it started, but evolution took it from there.

If you do believe in intelligent design, what created the designer? It would be an even more improbable for a designer as complex as that to come out by sheer coincidence.

Well it is my belief that God was not created per se but has, and always will exist, in other words he has /always/ existed. I think that's the part that many non believers and even believers, including myself, struggle to get their head around.
Also how do you believe that say the first living cell/ particle was created? How can something come out of nothing? What existed before that? Surely this is similar to the whole who created god ordeal. Idk man the whole thing is mind blowing to think about
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending