Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    can someone pls explain part e).. (its only based on part c) forget the rest)
    when we are writing the equation why do we put 1.5(1.05)^n-1 > 40 as done in the markscheme not 1.5(1.05)^n > 40 ??? n is the number of days and it is asking for the day so we cant subtract one from the day
    i mean day 1 gives n=1 , day 2 n=2 and so on...
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pondsteps)
    can someone pls explain part e).. (its only based on part c) forget the rest)
    when we are writing the equation why do we put 1.5(1.05)^n-1 > 40 as done in the markscheme not 1.5(1.05)^n > 40 ??? n is the number of days and it is asking for the day so we cant subtract one from the day
    i mean day 1 gives n=1 , day 2 n=2 and so on...
    What's the formula for a geometric sequence? Check it in your formula booklet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    What's the formula for a geometric sequence? Check it in your formula booklet.
    yeah ik the formula lol.. i'm saying why are we applying here it does not make sense .. its not giving the number of days, but number of days -1

ReputationRep:
    yeah ik the formula lol.. i'm saying why are we applying here it does not make sense .. its not giving the number of days, but number of days -1
    The nth term is the nth day.

The geometric sequence gives you u_n = ar^{n-1} as the nth term.

So the nth day is ar^{n-1}.

ReputationRep:
    The nth term is the nth day.

The geometric sequence gives you u_n = ar^{n-1} as the nth term.

So the nth day is ar^{n-1}.
    day one so n=1 , 1.5
    day 2 so n=2 , 1.5(1.05)
    day 3 n=3 , 1.5(1.05)2
    day 4 n=4 1.5(1.05)3

so seee what i meant, the days is 1 more than the power so we should put n not n-1

ReputationRep:
    day one so n=1 , 1.5
    day 2 so n=2 , 1.5(1.05)
    day 3 n=3 , 1.5(1.05)2
    day 4 n=4 1.5(1.05)3

so seee what i meant, the days is 1 more than the power so we should put n not n-1
    Do you understand why it is necessary to use logs on this question?

Try taking logs of both sides of your nth term equation, you'll see...

ReputationRep:
    day one so n=1 , 1.5
    day 2 so n=2 , 1.5(1.05)
    day 3 n=3 , 1.5(1.05)2
    day 4 n=4 1.5(1.05)3

Uhm..

You've just said that day 4 (n=4) means 1.5(1.05)^(3) = 1.5(1.05)^(4-1)

So day n (n=n) means 1.5(1.05)^(n-1)

ReputationRep:
    Uhm..

You've just said that day 4 (n=4)means 1.5(1.05)^(3)= 1.5(1.05)^(4-1)

So day n (n=n) means 1.5(1.05)^(n-1)
    exactly soo when in the final answer we find the day it is the number of days -1 ??

ReputationRep:
    exactly soo when in the final answer we find the day it is the number of days -1 ??
    Yes? That's what they've done. n-1 > 67.something so n > 68.something so n = 69

ReputationRep:
    This is probably something you could answer.

Generally, is the following situation true?

Whenever the geometric progression is increasing we can use a > sign, and when the GP is decreasing, we will use a < sign?

For instance, in this question, the GP is increasing each time, so this is why a > sign is used yes?

Consider a depreciating car, with a question such as 'Find the year when the car value falls below £1000' in this case we would use a < sign?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PedanticStudent)
    This is probably something you could answer.

Generally, is the following situation true?

Whenever the geometric progression is increasing we can use a > sign, and when the GP is decreasing, we will use a < sign?

For instance, in this question, the GP is increasing each time, so this is why a > sign is used yes?

Consider a depreciating car, with a question such as 'Find the year when the car value falls below £1000' in this case we would use a < sign?
    Well, you'd use a < sign when the word below/less/synonyms are present which just so happens to be associated with decreasing GP's so you're right in that sense, but I'd like to stress that the < sign comes from wanting the quantity to be less than some other quantity (which just so happens to necessitate a decreasing GP).

ReputationRep:
    Well, you'd use a < sign when the word below/less/synonyms are present which just so happens to be associated with decreasing GP's so you're right in that sense, but I'd like to stress that the < sign comes from wanting the quantity to be less than some other quantity (which just so happens to necessitate a decreasing GP).
    Excellent. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    should i always just stick to the equation and thats it cos i just dont seem to get it

ReputationRep:
    should i always just stick to the equation and thats it cos i just dont seem to get it
    Do you understand the n-1 > 67.(something) bit? Which particular bit aren't you getting?

ReputationRep:
    Do you understand the n-1 > 67.(something) bit? Which particular bit aren't you getting?
    no thats the part thats confusing me.. when the day was three the power was 2, so we should add one to what we get in order to get the day !! bcz what we got is the power not the days they are different

ReputationRep:
    no thats the part thats confusing me.. when the day was three the power was 2, so we should add one to what we get in order to get the day !! bcz what we got is the power not the days they are different
    Hmm, okay - do you understand 1.5(1.05)^(n-1) > 40.

Once you understand that then you just need to solve that inequality and ignore anything about context or whatever, you need to think a bit to write that inequality down and then you can stop thinking and just solve it on autopilot.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, okay - do you understand 1.5(1.05)^(n-1) > 40.

Once you understand that then you just need to solve that inequality and ignore anything about context or whatever, you need to think a bit to write that inequality down and then you can stop thinking and just solve it on autopilot.
    lol i just thought of it and realized i was confusing myself thanks a lot for helping!

ReputationRep:
    lol i just thought of it and realized i was confusing myself thanks a lot for helping!
    Ah, sweet! Glad it's sorted.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.