Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I have to suggest a rate equation for the decomposition of sodium thiosulphate without a catalyst.
    Could I have some help?
    Is it simply
    R=k[Na2S2O3]
    Seems too easy

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    i would've written that too but i'm getting Ds in chemistry so don't trust me

bumping 4 ya

ReputationRep:
    Super bump

ReputationRep:
    How is it decomposing? If the only thing in the reaction is thiosulfate then that is the only thing that can be in the rate equation. If you mix the thiosulfate with anothe reactant, the likelyhood is it's a second order reaction which depends on the concentrations of both reactants.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, the only reactant is sodium thiosulphate, so...

ReputationRep:
    It may also be zero order. If you think about it, if the concentration of thiosulfate is higher, that doesn't necessarily mean it will decompose faster.

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to find any evidence online that shows Na2S2O3 decomposes on its own. I can't find anything other than acid-catalysed reactions.
    Eurgh, thanks for your help though.

ReputationRep:
    What data do you have? They must have given you some data with concentrations/rates?

ReputationRep:
    They really didn't. We did the experiment re: Na2S2O3 +HCl calculated order of reaction with respect to sodium thiosulphate. The had to write a rate equation for it.
    The next question is:
    Sodium Thiosulphate decomposes on its own, if this is the case write a rate equation for this reaction.

ReputationRep:
    When you did the rate equation for thiosulfate + HCl was the reaction first order with respect to each reactant? If so then it'll still be first order with only thiosulfate.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.