Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    On Tuesday I had a bit of a breakdown in my Sports Therapy practical exam.

My exam was due to start at 2:30 in the afternoon, you go in and have 20mins writing time, you then have 30min to complete the practical side and then 10mins at the end to be asked any questions.

So nerves were already running very high because I had to wait all day for my exam, worrying at home. I then went in half an hour before my exam to be sat with people who had already done it or who were waiting themselves (it couldn't be avoided) but it made my nerves worse.

When we got called in i picked a case study and it ended up what i wanted it to be, the one i was most confident with, so i felt a sense of relief. We completed our writing time but then we had to wait an extra 15mins because the examiner was talking to an external examiner. So by this time, my confidence started to wear a little bit thin and i just started to worry again.

When i was called in my patient was a friend of mine so i felt alright and at ease. The examiner (my lecturer) then took around 5mins to get his Ipad ready and then said go ahead and start. So i started what i wanted to do, he asked me a couple of questions that i wasnt sure of so i said 'i'm not sure' but he would then ask me the same question.

So i then moved on to something called palpation where you palpate certain muscles,bones etc. To give a little bit of insight, i have quite long nails, and he had mentioned to me in previos seminars to cut my nails which is fine, but it became a regular occurence even when my nails where as short as they could go. So during the palpation he said to me 'your nails' and i just looked at him and he said 'your nails are not appropriate for this exam' it took me aback and i just responded with 'oh, okay, sorry'. My nails were cut the day before because i had a feeling that he would mention them but they were as short as i could possibly cut them, if i was to cut them any further down they would be practically on the nailbed and would probably be sore. I completely understand that when you are practical like our course that you have to be respectful and i was. So when he said that to me in the middle of my exam i couldnt help but get really frustrated.

Thats when it started, i just sort of froze, i couldnt speak properly and i could feel myself getting upset. But i didnt want to cry infront of my patient so i carried out even though it was really hard to keep my composure. But i felt that everything i said and did he judged, and he was condescending and patronizing.

So it came to the end of the exam where i would be asked questions. My patient left and i just couldnt help to start to fill up i managed to wipe away the tears when he was getting ready to sit down and i sat down had a drink of water. But as soon as he asked me the first question i just couldnt hold it in anymore.

I started crying, i apologised. He said 'not to worry, its just an exam' and i managed to get the words out 'i know but when you work so hard and put so much time into it its hard'. I couldn't finish the exam because we ran out of time. I went outside and went to my friend she said that i did well, but thats the problem sometimes when you have your friend for an exam because you dont know if they are just saying it to make you feel better.

At first i was embarrassed, but then i thought no he didnt really have any reason to say the things about my nails, fair enough at the end of the exam when it was finished but not in the middle of it and to embarrass me and penalise me. I dont regret crying, sometimes it does get overwhelming and difficult i just really couldnt hold it in.

I just wondered if any of you have felt that way. Do you think what he did was unfair?

If anyone has cried and felt embarrased dont, you're not the only one, it happens to the best of them.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    We cant say whether it was unfair or not as we cant see your nails and we dont know what the suggested minimum is. Presumably for practicals there is a requirement that you meet the required standard. the lecturer obviously felt you didnt. If you feel they were as short as required, then make a complaint.

Did he make the same comment about your classmates nails and do they have shorter or longer ones than you?
    That would make it relevant as to whether he should have mentioned them or not.

As for crying, then if you are nervous, you just have to practice doing these practicals so you dont get stressed out. You are going to meet difficult patients clients and part of your skill will be the need to cope with it. If you have been unfairly treated then talk to the lecturer and ask him to redo it or at least make him aware that you didnt feel it was fair. Talk to your student rep.

If it had been me, then I would like to have think id have laughed it off or deal with it at point , then returned to the exam. Dont think ieve ever cried in an exam, but dont worry. id be more annoyed that it wastes time when i should be scoring marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    We cant say whether it was unfair or not as we cant see your nails and we dont know what the suggested minimum is. Presumably for practicals there is a requirement that you meet the required standard. the lecturer obviously felt you didnt. If you feel they were as short as required, then make a complaint.

Did he make the same comment about your classmates nails and do they have shorter or longer ones than you?
    That would make it relevant as to whether he should have mentioned them or not.

As for crying, then if you are nervous, you just have to practice doing these practicals so you dont get stressed out. You are going to meet difficult patients clients and part of your skill will be the need to cope with it. If you have been unfairly treated then talk to the lecturer and ask him to redo it or at least make him aware that you didnt feel it was fair. Talk to your student rep.

If it had been me, then I would like to have think id have laughed it off or deal with it at point , then returned to the exam. Dont think ieve ever cried in an exam, but dont worry. id be more annoyed that it wastes time when i should be scoring marks.
    My nails were perfectly acceptable, they were as short as they could be cut and filed down to make sure they didnt cause any harm to anyone. He ALWAYS penalised me for it in seminars, they were exactly the same in the seminars, i just laughed it off because obviously its a different enviroment, but to be called out for it in the middle of my exam i just found it really unfair and unprofessional. Fair enough if he'd of mentioned it after my exam was finished, but i was in the middle of explaining what i was doing.

No comments were ever made to any of my other classmates in my seminars, and some girls had fake nails on at times and nothing was ever said to them.

Its easier said than done though, when you are in that situation and you get stressed and frustrated sometimes there just isnt any other way of dealing with it.

Thats fine, for you. But if you were in my shoes i doubt you'd just laugh it off.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by JS31294)
    My nails were perfectly acceptable, they were as short as they could be cut and filed down to make sure they didnt cause any harm to anyone. He ALWAYS penalised me for it in seminars, they were exactly the same in the seminars, i just laughed it off because obviously its a different enviroment, but to be called out for it in the middle of my exam i just found it really unfair and unprofessional. Fair enough if he'd of mentioned it after my exam was finished, but i was in the middle of explaining what i was doing.

No comments were ever made to any of my other classmates in my seminars, and some girls had fake nails on at times and nothing was ever said to them.

Its easier said than done though, when you are in that situation and you get stressed and frustrated sometimes there just isnt any other way of dealing with it.

Thats fine, for you. But if you were in my shoes i doubt you'd just laugh it off.
    If you feel you were hard done by or have been victimised then make a complaint as i said. The worse situation is to feel hard done by and to do nothing.

If I had been in your situation then during the practical my response would have been different but I am not you. Following the practical, then I would follow the advice I am giving you. Go and speak to your student rep. If you werent in the practicals then you cnat know what was said unless you ask your classmates. You then have the opportunity to seek an explanation from the lecturer or make a formal complaint.

If you have more practicals then do some practice with other students and that should remove some of the nerves. You cna give them scripts and they cna do various things which might put you off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    If you feel you were hard done by or have been victimised then make a complaint as i said. The worse situation is to feel hard done by and to do nothing.

If I had been in your situation then during the practical my response would have been different but I am not you. Following the practical, then I would follow the advice I am giving you. Go and speak to your student rep. If you werent in the practicals then you cnat know what was said unless you ask your classmates. You then have the opportunity to seek an explanation from the lecturer or make a formal complaint.

If you have more practicals then do some practice with other students and that should remove some of the nerves. You cna give them scripts and they cna do various things which might put you off.
    I didn't post on here to get advice or anything, I wasn't even going to complain, I just wanted somewhere I could vent and where other people might of had the same issues.

I've just said nothing was mentioned to my other classmates in the practicals.

I've had plenty of practical experience for 3 years, its just on this day and this practical exam it wasnt the nicest situtation. I can practice all day and night but i'd still get nervous, i've suffered with it since i was doing SATS in primary school. I'm not looking for someone to tell me what to do, i was just posting on here to get it off my chest and to see if anyone else has ever had the same experience. Obviously lucky you, you havent.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.