Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Depression, plastic culture and building Strangerships across the UK. AMA Watch

ReputationRep:
    Not going to lie, I'm not even from around here - but Singapore doesn't have the same kind of forum space like this.

Beginning two years ago or so I started getting really sickened by the normalizing pressure on social media - this subtle but suffocating grip on you to conform to what is expected or face society's wrath. I can't say what I really feel without getting some form of backlash or consequence. There's this unnerving sense of having eyes judging you aversely constantly all the freaking time.And the kinds of things that are appreciated on instagram or facebook? Dogs, cats, hot selfies, titillating cleavages, more pretty selfies, perfectly edited, cleverly filtered, made pristine for all the world's eyes. Statuses about how perfect one's life is. It's a ****ing plastic culture.

And then this happened last year too. Broke the internets and became a national scandal. Boy became a figurative punching bag.

Don't you feel like we live behind the veil hiding our true selves, and try really hard to maintain a normalizing facade that does us no favor in terms of genuinely connecting to others just as different, just as weird, just as eclectic and eccentric in our own ways little or large? Social media is supposed to connect people, but are we really connected?

I realized I really wanted to build a honest and authentic brand of social media - something that is influenced by a collective instead of "influencers" always presenting themselves in the most politically correct/accepted ways possible. I thought about making it kind of like reddit and internet forums such as these, but reddit seems to be introverted and displaced from the mainstream view.

Is there anyone kind of in the same situation as me? - that was longer than expected. will talk more about depression and a personal matter in a future blogpost

(Original post by fessup.sg)
    Not going to lie, I'm not even from around here - but Singapore doesn't have the same kind of forum space like this.

Beginning two years ago or so I started getting really sickened by the normalizing pressure on social media - this subtle but suffocating grip on you to conform to what is expected or face society's wrath. I can't say what I really feel without getting some form of backlash or consequence. There's this unnerving sense of having eyes judging you aversely constantly all the freaking time.And the kinds of things that are appreciated on instagram or facebook? Dogs, cats, hot selfies, titillating cleavages, more pretty selfies, perfectly edited, cleverly filtered, made pristine for all the world's eyes. Statuses about how perfect one's life is. It's a ****ing plastic culture.

And then this happened last year too. Broke the internets and became a national scandal. Boy became a figurative punching bag.

Don't you feel like we live behind the veil hiding our true selves, and try really hard to maintain a normalizing facade that does us no favor in terms of genuinely connecting to others just as different, just as weird, just as eclectic and eccentric in our own ways little or large? Social media is supposed to connect people, but are we really connected?

I realized I really wanted to build a honest and authentic brand of social media - something that is influenced by a collective instead of "influencers" always presenting themselves in the most politically correct/accepted ways possible. I thought about making it kind of like reddit and internet forums such as these, but reddit seems to be introverted and displaced from the mainstream view.

Is there anyone kind of in the same situation as me? - that was longer than expected. will talk more about depression and a personal matter in a future blogpost
    Very interesting read ! I look forward to read more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrenchUnicorn)
    Very interesting read ! I look forward to read more
    What about you? Is there a place where you can say what you really feel?

What about you? Is there a place where you can say what you really feel?
    Yes, when I talk to my cat. (this is not a joke)
    But yeah I see what you mean, it's like we're open to the world but it can be a curse in disguise
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

I don't have social media but the effect it has on society is undeniable. This was an interesting read - look forward to more.

ReputationRep:
    To all the girls who have blocked me on social media.

These are the thoughts of the proverbial ******* and a ****, the creep you ghosted forever without recourse.

It feels like rationality and reason doesn’t even matter anymore, just the way I have made them feel, and the way everyone else around them seems to disapprove of me. I even have a word coined for this - “emotionalizing”. They emotionalized that to stop me from hurting them, I should be deleted. Based on my history, it’s about an 8 in 10 chance I will be ghosted by someone new.

What gives you the moral conviction to simply delete someone from your life? Someone who lets go of the armor around his heart only to be rejected again and again? Should we all act according to the social scripts written for us since middle school? The nerd always has to be this reserved character that doesn’t go “out of line”? It is never society’s fault. It is your own fault for being unlike the norm, because you didn’t stick to the social scripts you are supposed to abide by. Yet society contributed to the way I am! My character and demeanor is a symptom of a greater socio-psychological malaise!

Reaching out and wanting more and clamoring for it just brutishly grazed them the wrong way. I don’t believe people really want honesty and pure intentions when revealing myself in the most disinhibited way possible just makes everyone ostracize me. It seems like you have to play this tedious rubberband game with every girl you meet - showing just enough interest but not a bit more so they won’t run away from you. And then turn on the interest level tit for tat commensurately with how much she gives you hers. Methodically.

Doesn’t that remind you of how broken our social media is? How pristinely filtered, carefully curated and strategically edited it is to give the best possible image that would receive a million likes? Who actually does say exactly how they feel on facebook? Check again.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah facebook/instagram etc are toxic... they're for showing off and noseying into other people's lives. The more basic forms of social media where there's a profile picture and the rest is for communication between individuals and sharing interests rather than showing off would be ideal. That's what's good about tsr imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    Yeah facebook/instagram etc are toxic... they're for showing off and noseying into other people's lives. The more basic forms of social media where there's a profile picture and the rest is for communication between individuals and sharing interests rather than showing off would be ideal. That's what's good about tsr imo.
    Yeah it's so strange that narcissists on facebook accuse me of being narcissistic! Mind-boggling!

ReputationRep:
    Had a failed relationship too.

Feels like nothing matters anymore.

Was trying to get her to see the vivid exuberance of the colours in my head and to experience all the interesting experiences and conversations we would have had.

The same way I'm trying to get the world to see what magic I can conjure ... but nobody's interested. Not enough people anyway.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.