Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

I was accepted to Coventry University and I was going through the accomodation options that the University has. I don't know how it works, once I'm from Portugal and I've never been in UK, but is it better to stay in a dorm or to look for a room somewhere else? And where should I look for it?

I ask because, in Portugal, usually dorms are less expensive than renting a room, but it seems to be the opposite in UK.

Btw, are the University and the city good? I've seen great references, but I thought I should ask anyway.

Thank you,

Marta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martzmatias)
    Hey guys!

I was accepted to Coventry University and I was going through the accomodation options that the University has. I don't know how it works, once I'm from Portugal and I've never been in UK, but is it better to stay in a dorm or to look for a room somewhere else? And where should I look for it?

I ask because, in Portugal, usually dorms are less expensive than renting a room, but it seems to be the opposite in UK.

Btw, are the University and the city good? I've seen great references, but I thought I should ask anyway.

Thank you,

Marta
    I came to coventry at 4 years old, 17 years ago and its been a good and bad experience, but for you its new and you have no feeling attatched yet! So it will be how you feel and make of the city when you are there!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

Thank you,

Marta
    Hi Marta,

I can't speak specifically about Coventry as I have not been to the University there and actually have only visited the city once in my life which was when I was 10 (i.e. 16 years ago).
    However I can help you with your question in the general and the differences you will find between the UK and Portugal regarding Universities.

I am an Engish teacher in Lisbon and have many friends and students who are Univeristy students, so I have found it very interesting to see all the differences between the 2 countries. The difference between attitudes and culture regarding Halls of Residence is perhaps one of the biggest differences.

In Portugal as I am sure you are aware most students try to stay close to home and not so many move to a different part of the country to go to University.
    From what I have seen in Lisbon those who do live in halls or rent a room in shared flats, where it seems the number renting rooms is perhaps more than those staying in a Residence.
    It is interesting that you say it is cheaper in Residence than rooms as I have a friend who has stayed in various Residences and she has found the prices have varied drastically.
    It has also been interesting for me to visit her Residences because they are quite different. They are generally made up of single or even shared rooms in a fairly old building with massive communial kitchens and dining rooms.
    It also seems (from what I have seen) that you choose to rent a room or stay in a Residence and the following year you repeat the same choice.

This is all very different to the UK...

First of all very students stay at home. Probably about 95% move away from home. This is either because the course they want is not available near to them or because they want that independance.
    Similarly you will find that those who move to a different city for University stay in Halls. I would guess that about 95% go into halls. Those who don't are generally older students who feel that they are a bit old for the 18 year old student lifestyle. The rest are generally those who applied but didn't get into Halls. Unlike Portugal there are no initiations for new students so your first friends are generally from your Halls of Residence. Our equivillent is Freshers Week where you haven't met those on your course yet you complete the week with your flatmates.
    Yes Halls are more expensive but like they say you get what you pay for. Unlike Portuguese Residences they are normally look and feel like hotels. They are usually new and spotless. The other difference is they are divided into blocks with usually 5 or 6 bedrooms to a block. Most are ensuite (although older ones can have shared bathrooms). Within this block you share a kitchen and living room. Thus it feels like a house rather than a residence and your new flatmates become like your second family. Plus for someone who is living away from home you have no bills on top and 24hr security and assistance if something goes wrong.
    The structure too is very different there is a clear pattern that nearly all students follow in the UK (it is almost an expectation in a way) that you stay in Halls in the first year and then with your friends in the second year you rent a house. You will find that there are few few rooms available. That only really happens if someone in the house drops out. I know in Portugal, especially in cities like Lisbon and Porto to find a room is easy you have choices of literally thousands of rooms. This is certainly not the case in the UK. You go in Halls or you rent a house to share.
    I personally did what nearly everyone I know did. I went to Halls in my first year and then with my best friends I was living with rented a T5 house for the next 3 years. [We were all trainee teachers so we had longer courses]

I would stongly advise you go into Halls as you will find a lot harder to make friends initially and you will find you feel quite left out. A lot of students talking about social plans with sentences like; "Me and my block...".

If you have any questions please ask ot PM me I am very happy to help where I can.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

Thank you,

Marta
    Finallyyy i see a portuguese!! I'm also from Portugal and i just got a conditional offer in Msc Forensic Psychology. What are you studying?
    I'm also looking for accomodation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maggss)
    Finallyyy i see a portuguese!! I'm also from Portugal and i just got a conditional offer in Msc Forensic Psychology. What are you studying?
    I'm also looking for accomodation

Guess what.... I've accepted to the Msc Forensic Psychology as well
    I'm so happy to finally know someone portuguese that's going to Coventry too

ReputationRep:
    Guess what.... I've accepted to the Msc Forensic Psychology as well
    I'm so happy to finally know someone portuguese that's going to Coventry too
    Recebeste a minha mensagem privada? Ainda não sei trabalhar muito bem com isto!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

Thank you,

Marta
    Hello Marta,

When I was applying for accommodation I went through the Coventry Universitywebsite -http://www.coventry.ac.uk/study-at-coventry/student-support/accommodation/. Ifyou wish to apply this way, simply click the apply button on the website.

As far as costs go most halls are reasonably priced, as long as you takeinto consideration that they are inclusive of gas, electricity and broadbandcosts. However, you can find shared houses / flats for less but you may not beliving with university students and you may need to take care of the billsyourself.

For accommodation I chose Victoria Hall as it suited me best. Be careful ofthe photos you see on halls websites; they are often very misleading. I wasvery disappointed when on my viewing for some of the halls (mainly privateones), and found that the gym, lounges kitchens and bedrooms where a lotsmaller than their photos portrayed.

If you are looking for low stress in your first year of study I recommend goingto Halls, yet if you prefer independence and don’t want to deal with thethousand pages of rules, then perhaps a shared house or flat would suit youbetter.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.