Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to know more about the importance of National 5, so I have a couple of questions.

1. Do the results matter for university?

2. What happens if you just pass all of them with the bare minimum, will that affect your chances of getting into a good university if you get very good marks in your Highers?

3. How come to get in some degrees you only need Highers, whilst for other degrees you need Advanced Highers?

4. Do National 5 results count towards UCAS points? How about Advanced Highers (never understood these UCAS points stuff)?

I am not taking any of these exams by the way, just curious about how the system works.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    1. Not really.
    2. Not sure but you really should try your best. It probably does matter for very competitive courses eg medicine and also for the most academic universities.
    3. You only need highers for Scottish universities but for English universities you need advanced highers. Apparently advanced highers are equivalent to your first year at university in Scotland.
    4. There are no ucas points for N5. But there are for higher and advanced higher. Pretty sure it's 80 points for higher and 130 for advanced highers.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greu)
    I'd like to know more about the importance of National 5, so I have a couple of questions.

2. What happens if you just pass all of them with the bare minimum, will that affect your chances of getting into a good university if you get very good marks in your Highers?

3. How come to get in some degrees you only need Highers, whilst for other degrees you need Advanced Highers?

4. Do National 5 results count towards UCAS points? How about Advanced Highers (never understood these UCAS points stuff)?

I am not taking any of these exams by the way, just curious about how the system works.

Thanks!
    1. Nope, unless the course requirements specifically say that you need nat 5 (like for my friend I think they either need an A for biology at national 5 or a B for higher) but that's quite unusual
    2. Nah, 99% of the time it's only highrs that matter
    3. I think if someone needs Adv. Highers for a degree it's more difficult/harder to get into
    4. National 5's don't, but Advanced does

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greu)

Thanks!
    1. No, but your N5 results may impact on which Highers you are allowed to take at your teacher's discretion. In my school you have to achieve A/B in a subject in order to take a higher OR A/B in related subjects. N5 results may impact what jobs you may be able to apply for. (E.g. The RAF require a good grade in N5 English and Maths). Collages may also include N5s in their entry requirements.
    2. Highers ALWAYS superceed your N5s but as I've already mentioned you might not be permitted to take a subject at Higher with poor N5 results.
    3. Professional degrees such as Medicene and Vetaniary Science may ask for Advanced Highers because it gives applicants a head start on the course. Although most Scottish Unis will ask only for Highers because AH level courses are regarded as being equivalent to year 1 qualifications. English Unis will ask for AHs because they are more similar to A Levels but AHs are more difficult and regarded as being a higher qualification than A Levels.
    4. Not currently according to the current UCAS tarrif. https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...iff/calculator

No problemo!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your help!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.