Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all - so I've done my EPQ on gravity and collected a wide range of interesting information, been thorough and been very unique etc etc. But, my tutor has seen my project and said that it is too dense in physics for him to mark, so it has been passed on to some with a PhD in physics. I couldn't get a harder critic if I tried!! I've spoken to the person with the PhD and he said that *Some of your ideas are really good; it was very interesting when you discussed the fact that Gravity may have changed* - I talked about an issue with the Dinosaurs and how gravity must have been a limiting factor to size, but he also said that *Id like you to turn the focus a bit and some of the physics isn't quite accurate I.e I've used Big G instead of small g in some instances.

We have arranged to go over my project next week.

I don't know what to make of this - I can't tell whether he was being too nice and my entire project is flawed or if it's only minor changes that need to occur: I guess we will find out. But I guess the fact that someone so qualified in physics hasn't completely ripped me to shreds means something. I have definitely gone out of bounds of A-level knowledge so inevitably I expected some of my ideas to be wrong, although I reinforced everything as thoroughly as I could.
    Do you think I should be concerned about it? No one else's projects that I know off need to be altered :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrueDAN)
    Hey all - so I've done my EPQ on gravity and collected a wide range of interesting information, been thorough and been very unique etc etc. But, my tutor has seen my project and said that it is too dense in physics for him to mark, so it has been passed on to some with a PhD in physics. I couldn't get a harder critic if I tried!! I've spoken to the person with the PhD and he said that *Some of your ideas are really good; it was very interesting when you discussed the fact that Gravity may have changed* - I talked about an issue with the Dinosaurs and how gravity must have been a limiting factor to size, but he also said that *Id like you to turn the focus a bit and some of the physics isn't quite accurate I.e I've used Big G instead of small g in some instances.

We have arranged to go over my project next week.

I don't know what to make of this - I can't tell whether he was being too nice and my entire project is flawed or if it's only minor changes that need to occur: I guess we will find out. But I guess the fact that someone so qualified in physics hasn't completely ripped me to shreds means something. I have definitely gone out of bounds of A-level knowledge so inevitably I expected some of my ideas to be wrong, although I reinforced everything as thoroughly as I could.
    Do you think I should be concerned about it? No one else's projects that I know off need to be altered :/
    I did EPQ myself, wrote a book and talked about the process, but your EPQ sounds like it should gain very very good marks considering how obvious the effort you've put into it is. And getting a professional helping you go through it can only be a good thing, as all it will do will improve your project even further and maybe even correct some slightly misled principles of your knowledge, neither of which will do you any harm. I would say just let it happen, and be confident that you should get very good marks

ReputationRep:
    Such a reassuring comment, thanks so much for the boost of confidence!!!
    Yeah I guess getting assisted from someone with a PhD in physics can only be a good thing.
    How did you do in your EPQ ? XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrueDAN)
    Such a reassuring comment, thanks so much for the boost of confidence!!!
    Yeah I guess getting assisted from someone with a PhD in physics can only be a good thing.
    How did you do in your EPQ ? XD
    Well I found it extremely extremely hard, because we had to be done and presented by March 23, and writing a book before then was an almost impossible task, but I had great support from a friend who was also writing a book in EPQ, and also from my family who supported me so much. But I eventually finished it, then had about a week to write the report and plan my presentation, which I have to say was probably one of the most stressful weeks of my life XD But yeah I did it, everyone seemed to like it and I think I did pretty well At least I hope so XD But yeah I'm really glad its over now tho and I can focus on my other exams
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    No concern at all. Whatever your ability he is going to give you some guidance. the fact he has bothered to point out things that may be a bit suspect or things you might wnat to approach differently is a good thing. He is helping you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Almageddon)
    Well I found it extremely extremely hard, because we had to be done and presented by March 23, and writing a book before then was an almost impossible task, but I had great support from a friend who was also writing a book in EPQ, and also from my family who supported me so much. But I eventually finished it, then had about a week to write the report and plan my presentation, which I have to say was probably one of the most stressful weeks of my life XD But yeah I did it, everyone seemed to like it and I think I did pretty well At least I hope so XD But yeah I'm really glad its over now tho and I can focus on my other exams
    That's amazing to hear well done!!! best of luck in all upcoming exams xD

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.