Sociology AQA AS - Anyone want to share their revision notes? Any exam tips?

Watch
JoePFR
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I did pretty crap on my AS year and got ACCC. I'm retaking Sociology and was wondering if anyone cared to share their revision notes with me (or anyone else who needs it) - preferably anyone who got a decent grade?

I'm taking the Family and Education units.

Also, any exam techniques? I feel like I know the material decently but can't lay it out on the page in the right way.

Thanks for any help.
OliwierEB
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JoePFR)
I did pretty crap on my AS year and got ACCC. I'm retaking Sociology and was wondering if anyone cared to share their revision notes with me (or anyone else who needs it) - preferably anyone who got a decent grade?

Also, any exam techniques? I feel like I know the material decently but can't lay it out on the page in the right way.

Thanks for any help.
Is the Education Paper with RMiC on the 17th May?
JoePFR
Rep:
?
(Original post by OliwierEB)
Is the Education Paper with RMiC on the 17th May?
It is indeed
OliwierEB
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It is indeed
Thank you
grassntai
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It is indeed
what exam board are we talking about? for resit students I thought family was on the 17th?
geordie1234
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thanks for any help.
me too dawg, good luck!
farah1997
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by grassntai)
what exam board are we talking about? for resit students I thought family was on the 17th?
Yeah I'm retaking education and it is on 25th may, the new spec have ed on the 17th but that's a completely different exam
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's great that you've memorised the theories. That's a big chunk of preparation dealt with.

To apply the theories, link them back to the question being asked. Also compare other theories to each other where possible. For example "blacks take easy gcses" could be compared against the idea that students choices could be informed by streamlining/self fulfilling prophecies. Unlike I have done here, always include the names of theorists and do this as often as you possibly can to show solidarity or confidence in what you're saying.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ndExF776Hus
Mollynoble
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thanks for any help.
On 20 markers you need at least 3 paragraphs answering the question (so 3 arguments for the question basically) and in those 3 paragraphs you need concepts and theorists, also at the end of those three paragraphs try and have an argument against them so you can get marks for evaluation, then one paragraph against the question to evaluate it. Finish off the answer with a conclusion. Sorry if it doesn't make sense, I hope it helped!!!
OliwierEB
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mollynoble)
On 20 markers you need at least 3 paragraphs answering the question (so 3 arguments for the question basically) and in those 3 paragraphs you need concepts and theorists, also at the end of those three paragraphs try and have an argument against them so you can get marks for evaluation, then one paragraph against the question to evaluate it. Finish off the answer with a conclusion. Sorry if it doesn't make sense, I hope it helped!!!
If you only give points supporting the question you will only get 8/20 marks, so you need to evaluate to get up to 18/20. In order to get more then 18/20 you need to have a conclusion and try no to use ''I believe that overall...'' - but instead ''In conclusion, from the evidence it is clear that...'' .
JoePFR
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mollynoble)
That is helpful actually, thank you. Based on what you said and what the other poster said, it seems that the structure of...

1. 3 longer paragraphs with half supporting, half evaluating
2. 1 paragraph of evaluation
3. Short conclusion

...might work?

My exam technique has been quite atrocious in the past
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (63)
12.28%
Virtual campus tours/open days (120)
23.39%
Live streaming events (46)
8.97%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (50)
9.75%
A uni comparison tool (119)
23.2%
An in-person event when available (115)
22.42%