Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

To be straight I was unable to get a summer internship in front office which has always been my ambition don't see many opportunities to take that route.

Anyway, 2 jobs

Operations analyst in Trading at a major BB
    Or
    Portfolio analyst at a respected asset management firm

Which would pay more in say 10 years and what salary would I be looking at ?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Student199)
    Hi guys,

To be straight I was unable to get a summer internship in front office which has always been my ambition don't see many opportunities to take that route.

Anyway, 2 jobs

Or

Portfolio Analytics sounds way more interesting than Ops, if I'm honest. You'd at least get to work on some interesting projects vs being the facilitation/settlement monkey for a trading desk.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Portfolio Analytics sounds way more interesting than Ops, if I'm honest. You'd at least get to work on some interesting projects vs being the facilitation/settlement monkey for a trading desk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I'd have to agree, but purely on the basis of earning potential, would I be correct in thinking that the salary for ops will be higher ?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely go with the portfolio analyst job imo. Not really sure about the salary in 10 years time though, if you make PM in 10 years you could be making loads depending on your firm. Think 7 fig salaries are quite common amongst PMs.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hi guys,

Anyway, 2 jobs

Or

The latter, you could eventually end up a fund manager. Start in ops you'll probably be in Ops forever...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, I was thinking the same, the AM job seems more my thing, the salary is a fair way below the ops job but I assume the exit ops for this job would be much better.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yeah I'd have to agree, but purely on the basis of earning potential, would I be correct in thinking that the salary for ops will be higher ?
    They'd be fairly similar.. Is this BR you're talking about?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Daniel9998)
    Definitely go with the portfolio analyst job imo. Not really sure about the salary in 10 years time though, if you make PM in 10 years you could be making loads depending on your firm. Think 7 fig salaries are quite common amongst PMs.
    Portfolio Analytics doesn't lead to PM bro

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Portfolio Analytics doesn't lead to PM bro

Posted from TSR Mobile
    oh my bad, ignore what I said then

ReputationRep:
    Both jobs are good paths but I don't think you will succeed in any. You will constantly wish you were doing your first choice job. Think carefully.

Operations is good but you have to go in on a graduate Programme or else you'll not end up on project based roles/teams. It depends what you want to do in future.

Portfolio Analytics is good too. Again, don't expect much since you're going in as direct hire.

Banks do not care so much about direct hires at entry level.

Banks care about developing graduates on graduate Programme to become leaders regardless of what division you're in.

If you still want to pick one: if the Operations entry level role is at GS, UBS or BarCap reject it and go for the Portfolio Analytics. If the Operations role is at JPM, Credit Suisse or BNP take it instead of the portfolio analytics role.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoldmanSucks)
    Both jobs are good paths but I don't think you will succeed in any. You will constantly wish you were doing your first choice job. Think carefully.

Operations is good but you have to go in on a graduate Programme or else you'll not end up on project based roles/teams. It depends what you want to do in future.

Portfolio Analytics is good too. Again, don't expect much since you're going in as direct hire.

Banks do not care so much about direct hires at entry level.

Banks care about developing graduates on graduate Programme to become leaders regardless of what division you're in.

If you still want to pick one: if the Operations entry level role is at GS, UBS or BarCap reject it and go for the Portfolio Analytics. If the Operations role is at JPM, Credit Suisse or BNP take it instead of the portfolio analytics role.
    Why? I don't understand why OP should choose Ops at JPM, BNP or CS over GS, UBS or Barcap? Just wondering...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.