Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Changing currency for holidays watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever changed currency online for their holidays?

I noticed (on xe.com) that you can get really good rates (~1.5 for Euros) but I'm not sure how this would work (i.e., how would I get the money)?

Could someone give me some more info pls?

ReputationRep:
    I believe the post office to it for zero commision, I changed mine at my local travel agents, got charged about £2 commision. I got about £190 Euros for £130 I think.

ReputationRep:
    marks&spencers are good i've heard

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys.

I'll check them both out tomorrow in town.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surfing Hamster)
    Thanks guys.

I'll check them both out tomorrow in town.
    AT is right, zero commission at the post office, easiest one really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneezyme)
    marks&spencers are good i've heard
    Yeah, the one at Marble Arch does excellent rates.

ReputationRep:
    The Post Office don't charge commission.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    The Post Office don't charge commission.
    Oh, OK, already been said twice...
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Don't know about England, but up here in Scotland some of the bars and restaurants take euros. You buy a pint, pay in euros, they take no comission and have to give your change in pounds. Its great as you get more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sublime_envy)
    Don't know about England, but up here in Scotland some of the bars and restaurants take euros. You buy a pint, pay in euros, they take no comission and have to give your change in pounds. Its great as you get more.
    Maybe, but they usually fix the exchange in their favour by using an unofficial exchange rate (normally 1.2-1.3 € to the £), otherwise they wouldn't have anything to gain by trading in Euros.

Generally I just wait until I arrive and then use my ATM card to get some cash from an ATM. That's by far the easiest way, the rates are better than those offered on the high street as well.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    well, thats not the case where I work. They don't try to gain anything by trading in euros except custom. Its surprising how many people come in after their holidays to spend left over euros.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuvverRussia)
    Maybe, but they usually fix the exchange in their favour by using an unofficial exchange rate (normally 1.2-1.3 € to the £), otherwise they wouldn't have anything to gain by trading in Euros.

Generally I just wait until I arrive and then use my ATM card to get some cash from an ATM. That's by far the easiest way, the rates are better than those offered on the high street as well.
    Don't they charge lots if you get money out abroad, though?

ReputationRep:
    Nope. HSBC charge me £1 normally, although the rate I get is a lot better than the high street rate (in fact, it's not far off the interbank rate) meaning that it still works out a better deal.

ReputationRep:
    halifax would charge me quite a bit to use money abroad, there's a standard fee for each transaction and then a further cost that is a percentage.

i got mine from the post office yesterday, they also do commision free travellers cheques (the place i got my holiday from did commision free money but charged about a pound for each travellers cheque and everything ahd needed ordered a week before) and i had to go the post office to do my E111 (which i promptly forgot when i was there so need to go back tomorrow to do it :rolleyes: ). but only bigger post offices do currency that hasn't been ordered a few days before

tesco are about the cheapest place for holiday insurance

lou xxx

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.