The Student Room Group

Do expensive clothes help depression

Does it make you more happier and confident etc

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think that expensive clothes allows some people to be more self confident in their appearance. Therefore in turn making them more happy.
Some retail therapy is ok, but its short lived and artificial. You are better off dealing with the underlying causes.
Reply 3
No
then you'll be depressed about the amount of money you wasted on clothes
Reply 4
Original post by iqra2159
No
then you'll be depressed about the amount of money you wasted on clothes

I never thought of it from that perspective.
Not proper designer like gstar true religion superdry etc
(edited 7 years ago)
True what if you had the money
Reply 7
Original post by struggler07

it depends, it may make someone feel of value, but it's more about if you actually liked the clothes. Also, it may not be healthy to depend upon buying clothes as an antidepressant, as this could lead to compulsive materialism and would probably end in sadness - the person may face financial issues, or become desensitised to the 'hit' they may have originally gained from buying clothes.
Whem I'm wearing £300 true religion jeans I feel 100x more confident than if I was wearing £10 primary jeans
Reply 9

Shopping therapy definitely does
I don't think so, I think people like to think it does, but instead it's what's inside you making you feel down. Sometimes you can't find a reason, so one day you might blame it on clothes, second day you might blame it on your hairstyle. How much of yourself can someone chance? I think you've got to look at techniques on having a positive mindset and small exercises that make you feel better, so what makes you feel good or cheers you up.
Not proper designer like gstar truebreligion superdry etc

I prefer the collective noun, 'tat'.
I'd say so but it doesn't last
So this is why people spend £300 on a label...

Fake confidence changes more than your £80 underwear
What's retail therapy
Nope. no money or clothing can make anyone happy. If you're depressed i would advise see a therapist so you can get it all out :smile:
Original post by Profesh
I prefer the collective noun, 'tat'.

i have to agree if isn't by a big design house (versace, gucci, prada, louis vuitton) i won't buy it unless it's very unique (buffalo leather jacket) or the company is the god on the subject (levi's for jeans)

Original post by pinkrox22310
Nope. no money or clothing can make anyone happy. If you're depressed i would advise see a therapist so you can get it all out :smile:

exactly this as while clothes and money can make you happy but only for a short while long term it is better to get those issues ironed out
As someone with a wardrobe full of expensive clothes I can safely say no.

What use is a £400 suit if I have no social life?
Your right
Your right what your saying, I like going on buses all round England trekked from elephant and castle to Luton by bus took 5 hours, I like eating pizza playing ps4 games and looking on foreign girls

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending