Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Demonstrating awareness of equality issues e.c.t in a supporting statement watch

ReputationRep:
    Wondering if anyone can help me here- as per the title, I'm currently writing a supporting statement for a job and one of the criteria I have to demonstrate in my application is
    'Demonstrate an awareness of equality issues and commitment to the equality policy'

How do I put that in an application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Wondering if anyone can help me here- as per the title, I'm currently writing a supporting statement for a job and one of the criteria I have to demonstrate in my application is
    'Demonstrate an awareness of equality issues and commitment to the equality policy'

What's the job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zetamcfc)
    What's the job?
    Research Assistant at a Council

ReputationRep:

Try to show an example where you have proactively been inclusive of others, or how you would do this in the role you are applying to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Try to show an example where you have proactively been inclusive of others, or how you would do this in the role you are applying to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok, tbh I don't think about peoples characteristics when working with them, I see everyone the same so not really sure how to proactively be inclusive?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, tbh I don't think about peoples characteristics when working with them, I see everyone the same so not really sure how to proactively be inclusive?
    Then think about how you would take that attitude into the role.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Then think about how you would take that attitude into the role.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks I'll try.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Thanks I'll try.
    Have you ever (I'm sure you have!) organised a work social event and remembered not to hold it on a Friday afternoon (Jewish sabbath) or based around alcohol (non-drinkers) and on a school night (families) etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Have you ever (I'm sure you have!) organised a work social event and remembered not to hold it on a Friday afternoon (Jewish sabbath) or based around alcohol (non-drinkers) and on a school night (families) etc
    Nope! I've not had actual paid work since I was 17, this would be my first grown up job if I got it, I've just had work experience/voluntary work so never been in a position to organise a work social event. I did help organise events for a society at university but that was very much a case of having it when the speaker could come. I mean that wasn't based around alcohol, but more because we wanted the speaker, not because we thought we should have an event not based around alcohol.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Nope! I've not had actual paid work since I was 17, this would be my first grown up job if I got it, I've just had work experience/voluntary work so never been in a position to organise a work social event. I did help organise events for a society at university but that was very much a case of having it when the speaker could come. I mean that wasn't based around alcohol, but more because we wanted the speaker, not because we thought we should have an event not based around alcohol.
    Never had any experience at all of working alongside anyone with any sort of disability at all?

If you absolutely have led a life without any examples, then 'demonstrate awareness' with a theoretical answer. If you had been asked to organise a Freshers event for your course, I'm sure you would have considered a number of equality and diversity empowering issues ... write that up.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    It's up to you but if you have a disability yourself, you can use your personal experience to show you have an awareness of inclusive environments and you can talk about the equality act for policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Never had any experience at all of working alongside anyone with any sort of disability at all?

If you absolutely have led a life without any examples, then 'demonstrate awareness' with a theoretical answer. If you had been asked to organise a Freshers event for your course, I'm sure you would have considered a number of equality and diversity empowering issues ... write that up.
    Only myself! Otherwise I've never directly worked with anyone who I was aware had a disability, and this is across 4 charities, 2 councils and a political party HQ, I've not got an empty CV!

ReputationRep:
    Only myself! Otherwise I've never directly worked with anyone who I was aware had a disability, and this is across 4 charities, 2 councils and a political party HQ, I've not got an empty CV!
    This isn't surprising primarily where the vast majority of disabilities are not seen and are often not disclosed.

I suspect you have got some great examples, you just don't see them as such where your attitude is one of inclusiveness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    This isn't surprising primarily where the vast majority of disabilities are not seen and are often not disclosed.

I suspect you have got some great examples, you just don't see them as such where your attitude is one of inclusiveness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Perhaps, but I think it doesn't help that 95% of my work experience has involved someone else saying 'this is what I want you to do, off you go and do it' so I've only had myself to take into consideration. I have however put together an example from uni thanks to threeportdrift who showed me how to actually structure my point.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps, but I think it doesn't help that 95% of my work experience has involved someone else saying 'this is what I want you to do, off you go and do it' so I've only had myself to take into consideration. I have however put together an example from uni thanks to threeportdrift who showed me how to actually structure my point.
    Glad you have found an example. Good luck with your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Glad you have found an example. Good luck with your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.