Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    just wondering if anyone has ever felt like this, or has actually made the transition...
    I have for my entire life been undecided between science and humanities. It took me absolutely ages and a year off before finally deciding to apply for law.
    I'm curgently a law fresher at Oxford Uni. Absolutely love the place but detest my degree. I resent every hour spent in the library, find the material dry and the subject thoroughly unfulfilling and can't even speak to friends studying medicine without getting pangs of regret.
    It couldn't be a more ridiculous situation, I feel like the luckiest person in the world being able to study in such an amazing environment with the leaders in the field, but just cannot get excited about law. I would go so far to say I hate it. I want to learn medicine. I want to be a doctor.
    I did Biology, Chemistry and Maths at A level with A*s.
    Has anyone done this here at all? Changed degree so drastically... given up a law degree to go and study something so different? No idea if its possible, or worth it or whether its a grass greener on other side kind of situation. I have no idea. But i know I'm just not happy studying law. I feel unable to discuss this with people in fear of sounding ridiculous, so any opinions would be most welcome.
    Thanks so much guys, xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    Whilst my experience isn't law to medicine, I did change from medicine to geology. I made the transition and am all the better for it. I made my decision because I knew that I found find the subject matter dry and that I didn't want to spend 5 years at university just to become an overworked trainee for two years. Since making the change I've worked across three continents and am very happy about it. This could be a one off case, but most people who make transitions like that do it for passion, as you are. Bear in mind that being a lawyer is nothing like law school (my girlfriend and brother are both lawyers), in the same way that medical school is nothing like being a doctor.

It would be worth pencilling out everything you like and dislike about the course, and then do the same with what you think you will like and dislike about med school. Be completely honest and try to remove the romantic view of it. Five years straight studying is no joke, and the salary is crap for a few years, you'll be overworked and will hate/love your job for a while.

Consider why you want to be a doctor - is it that you want to help people? You could spend a day a week working pro bono and many law firms take on legal aid clients all the time as part of their standard operations. Alternatively you could help out at a shelter etc. If it's about wanting to help people but you don't volunteer all the time then consider whether it might be the prestige of it that you like. I'm saying this because you need to strip the romanticised views from your mind and understand the realities, in general med school is harder than law school (LPC is easy so I've been told).

Wish you the best of luck, just make sure that if you change, you're changing for the right reasons. Don't swap over because the subject material is dry, it's only a few years of your life and then a great salary and prestige - but nightmare hours and most supervisors are dicks at the major firms. Pros and cons lists are good.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    If you really dislike it that much, then change. You might find it difficult to stay at Oxford, but you only have one life. Its a balance between finishing a prestugious degree at one of the worlds best Unis or doing soemthing you feel you would enjoy.

Just my points would be.

1. See if theres any way you cna stay at Oxford.
    2. You dont mention your A levels and whether any of them would be directly applicable to medicine.
    3. Consider the finance aspect. You could complete the law degree, but would then have to finance medicine. Alternaively you could stip at the first year and if you get on a medicine course you will get funding for the whole of it. Importnat if money is an issue.
    4. There are a small nuber of unis who will accept applicants from an arts background onto a foundation course. have to wait for those more knowledeeable to tell you which ones they are. Dont have massive regrets.

ReputationRep:
    Yes big changes have been done in the past. A friend of mine went from PPE to maths, another from E&M to experimental psych (both internal transfers with no repeating a year).

Medicine is a whole different kettle of fish though. You'd have to either drop out and apply to uni again, or complete your law degree and go for postgrad. Both are very competitive with no guarantee of success. Both are a career/life change, not just a change in degree, so you'd better be certain! How much do you really know about a career in medicine?

You might find some work experience and voluntary work helpful in your decision.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone here has (or knows someone who has) done an undergraduate law degree and then gone on to do medicine as a graduate.
    I have science A levels and am massively regretting my decision to study law at university. I could quit now and reapply for medicine 2017 entry but am reluctant to do so because entry is so competitive, Im at oxford so to drop out would be ridiculous and because its such a massive decision.
    Any advice would be massively appreciated. Thanks so much.
    If anyone has any law questions in the meantime feel free to ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymousanna)
    Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone here has (or knows someone who has) done an undergraduate law degree and then gone on to do medicine as a graduate.
    I have science A levels and am massively regretting my decision to study law at university. I could quit now and reapply for medicine 2017 entry but am reluctant to do so because entry is so competitive, Im at oxford so to drop out would be ridiculous and because its such a massive decision.
    Normal entry is far less competitive than graduate entry. I'm not sure how they would view your decision to drop out of law at med interview but GEM is really competitive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymousanna)
    Hi,
    You can do that yes.

Very tough decision. There is no guarantee you would get into medicine at all, and a law degree is not only applicable to a law career, of course. The Oxford degree would open a lot of doors (outside of medicine!). There is also the consideration that you've used some of your student loan funding and so would probably have to self-fund a year if you did drop out.

Only you can decide I'm afraid.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.