The Student Room Group

Edexcel International A level (IAL): Physics Unit 6 (WPH06) - 19th May, 2016 - PM

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by sabahshahed294
I know that they are included! Just the fact that I can't rely on them on what they give or not!

I guess it's better to revise AS experiments from Hodder's x)
Reply 41
Original post by luisgr8
Hi Aimen! Do you have any good notes for the exam? I want to revise from a different source other than my own notes!
Thanks!!

Not really notes, I did it from Hodder's and Implementation and assessment guide, but I found these on the internet!
Original post by Aimen.
When we use a digital meter we usually use "HALF RANGE" (which is range/2 ; (max value-min value)/2 )
and when we use analogue meter we use Range, and in other boards such as IB they would be very specific in this regard!
But in edexcel they accept both in any case so it doesn't matter! My teacher advised me to use half range in both cases so I always do that, but you could do any x)

Thanks A Lot!
Reply 43
Could someone help me with this? 'cuz I didn't take maths in A levels so I get stuck with these little math type questions in physics!
This Q#2 (c)
Attachment not found
Original post by Aimen.
Could someone help me with this? 'cuz I didn't take maths in A levels so I get stuck with these little math type questions in physics!
This Q#2 (c)
Attachment not found

By conservation of momentum (i assume the masses are the same) letting the velocity if the first bit be v1 and the combined velocity be v2 then mv1 =2mv2. Can you take it from there?
Hey guys are you revising astrophysics?
Original post by Ayman!
It's your choice whether you use half range or full range. Half range is the regular range divided by two. You don't need to use it if you don't want to. Stick to one in the exam, not both

Hey are you revising astrophysics?
Reply 47
Original post by Aimen.
Well your best fit lines aren't really well drawn and well an improvement cut be that whenever you don't start with zero on a scale, give a line break (although it's not a must but I've read it in quite a lot of examiner's reports)

May I ask more about "best fit lines"?
Or how to get a good "best fit line"?
The marking usually states something like "joining most of the points and with remaining points balanced on both sides"
but I find it difficult to strictly stick to these rules and getting the correct slope ....
Something wrong with my interpretation of those rules?

For example
Ref to my drawn graphs attached on #25

2016 Jan (5 points given)
my interpretation
Possibility 1 : line passing through 1 points with 2 points on each side of the line ?
Possibility 2: line through 3 points and 1 point on each side?
Possibility 3: line thr all 5 points?

For 2015 Jun ( 6 points given)
my interpretation :
Possibility 1: joining no points but 3 points on each side
possibility 2: joining 2 points and 2 points on each side
possibility 3: joining 4 points and 1 on each side
possibility 4: joining all 6 points?

Thank you so so much again
Reply 48
Can anyone answer this for me please?
I'm suddenly dissatisfied with the answer that user gave me.

Treatment of anomalies
Reply 49
Original post by Aimen.
Well your best fit lines aren't really well drawn and well an improvement cut be that whenever you don't start with zero on a scale, give a line break (although it's not a must but I've read it in quite a lot of examiner's reports)

How exactly do you draw the line of best fit? In every past paper i did I'm off by about 0.035 in my gradient value. In what I drew, I got a value for the gradient as 0.2. But the answer was 0.235. No matter how many times i try to align the best fit line, my gradient is always wrong.

Any guidelines guys? :x

Edit: Off of the range by ±0.035.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by Aimen.
I guess it's better to revise AS experiments from Hodder's x)

oh dear. I don't have any of my AS notes.
But so far all the AS questions I scored well in... using the same knowledge of accuracy, etc. You think I really need to read it?
Reply 51
Original post by samb1234
Im not specifically talking about your exam here btw, but there are several reasons. Firstly, if you draw your line of best fit through that reason you are implying that it is still a linear relationship even in that region which wont be true as non linear scale. Secondly, why would you? As mentioned above, we cant draw our line of best fit through that region anyway which may not be immediately obvious to you. We also can't use it to find the y intercept for the same reason, which again people might not spot. In general, its just an unnecessary and sometimes unhelpful thing to do if youre not careful

But a lot of the questions do state relation to linear relationships. Like they give us an equation and tell us to show that this produces a straight lline. Should you still not have a line cut? Sometimes they ask us why it doesn't pass thorough the origin, so you have to mention the y intercept, which is the line cut, or so I though?
Reply 52
I'm a little bit worried with my calculation for gradient, eventho the scale and the best fit line are correct I still don't get a correct value for gradient. very appreciate if anyone can give me a few tips on this. :frown:
Original post by adaz2512
I'm a little bit worried with my calculation for gradient, eventho the scale and the best fit line are correct I still don't get a correct value for gradient. very appreciate if anyone can give me a few tips on this. :frown:

its not a must that your gradient should be exactly the same as the one in the marking scheme, they usually have a range which i suppose you know, so if your graph is drawn correctly then there is no chance your calculated gradient will be wrong. you can check whether your gradient is right or not by just simply taking 2 values of y axis and 2 values of x axis from the table given of the processed data, and doing (y2-y1)/(x2-x1) to get the gradient. your calculated gradient obtained from the graph and the one obtained from the table should be close.
Reply 54
Original post by Aakashdoshi17
its not a must that your gradient should be exactly the same as the one in the marking scheme, they usually have a range which i suppose you know, so if your graph is drawn correctly then there is no chance your calculated gradient will be wrong. you can check whether your gradient is right or not by just simply taking 2 values of y axis and 2 values of x axis from the table given of the processed data, and doing (y2-y1)/(x2-x1) to get the gradient. your calculated gradient obtained from the graph and the one obtained from the table should be close.

thank you so much for your reply, :h: now i get it
Reply 55
anyone?
Reply 56
How to find uncertainty for W1 from graph?
Reply 57
how do i use the 0.2 thing ?
Reply 58
What 0.2
no 1 uncertainity is about 0.014 i use the gradent and multyply 0.002mthen %u is 2.2%

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending