Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone know ANYTHING about Aberdeen? :) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello all again,

as you can prolly tell, having messed up two years at uni already I'm really doing my research this time, and would like to know if anyone's applied to Aberdeen/already goes there and if so, what do they think of the uni/city?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chiaki)
    Hello all again,

as you can prolly tell, having messed up two years at uni already I'm really doing my research this time, and would like to know if anyone's applied to Aberdeen/already goes there and if so, what do they think of the uni/city?
    No I didn't apply there but have you ordered a prospectus? I know they exaggerate things slightly but it's good place to start www.abdn.ac.uk. I have been to Aberdeen, although it was very rainy and cold when i went it was lovely - lively, big, student friendly with so much to do. I think the nightlife is supposed to be really good and the crime rates are quite low

ReputationRep:
    i've got a friend whose bf is up there and he loves it. but it is very cold. he seems to have a good social life etc though and the uni has a pretty good reputationlou xxx

ReputationRep:
    I know something about Aberdeen. It's in Scotland

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Col-C)
    I know something about Aberdeen. It's in Scotland
    ...And that it's the third largest city in Scotland

ReputationRep:
    And it's famous for having lots of strip clubs

I'm going to work part time in one. Really.

I checked out the website and looked at the prospectus at my old college's careers office but it doesn't really tell you much. I'm already in Edinburgh and I rarely go back home when I'm at uni so being out of the way isn't so bad. But no-one seems to have a concrete opinion on whether it's any good or not :confused:

ReputationRep:
    And it's famous for having lots of strip clubs

I'm going to work part time in one. Really.

I checked out the website and looked at the prospectus at my old college's careers office but it doesn't really tell you much. I'm already in Edinburgh and I rarely go back home when I'm at uni so being out of the way isn't so bad. But no-one seems to have a concrete opinion on whether it's any good or not :confused:
    I'm afraid I don't know a lot, I never really thought about applying anywhere apart from London/cities close to London. But Aberdeen is in the list of top 20 universities in the UK and third in Scotland according to the Times anyway so it can't be bad - and apparantly there's a really friendly atomosphere there

ReputationRep:
    Hello all again,

Well as you probably know the city is somewhat isolated, however its a decent size and the university has a fine pedigree regardless of its unfortunate placing. Its got a good reputation for law and medicine other than that i dont really know much though i have many friends who are students there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophetta)
    I applied to Aberdeen. They sent me a christmas card so I like them a lot. I know quite a few people going there as well, its quite popular among Scottish students from what I've seen. Also a nice city, a bit out the way though.
    I got that card as well! The level of correspondence between the uni and potential student is the most impressive i experienced and in terms of popularity its probably the 3rd most popular in scotland after Glasgow+Edinburgh - certainly in my school these were the universities most of my year went to(with Strathclyde about equal with Aberdeen for popularity).

ReputationRep:
    I've lived in Aberdeen my whole life, so I guess that makes me 'Aberdeen expert'. Though my expertise in that area doesn't come in handy very often.
    To be honest I'd say that Aberdeen isn't as interesting a city as either Edinburgh or Glasgow and it is isolated. But it depends what u r looking for. I'm not really a clubbing person but I've heard it's pretty good. The uni campus is quite nice and not too far from the city centre. I heard that's it's particularly good for English and Divinity. In fact it's good for all the modern language courses- I did a French evening course there which was great.
    As for the city in general, most people are quite friendly and there is normally a busy, fun atmosphere in town, specially on sunny days. We do get a fair bit of bad weather but it's not so bad as u might imagine. The shopping, restaurants, cinemas and so on are all good and there are some pretty parks for hanging out in on those sunny days.
    Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    It is certainly a very good university - though perhaps it may not appear in the upper echelons of league tables it still seems to have a good reputation and is actually in a very nice city. The University itself is old and very nice. However it does seem to be more made up of Scottish students, whereas Edinburgh and St. Andrew's have more of an English/International student body.

ReputationRep:
    A couple of things about the location: Aberdeen has a pretty large airport with lots of cheap flights to London. Also, you're most likely only going to go home at the end of each semester, so is distance that much of a factor? It's a fairly large city; there isn't anything you wouldn't be able to get, buy or do there.

That said, nothing beats a visit to help you decide. If you're considering committing four years of your life to somewhere, why would you not check it out first?

ReputationRep:
    hi

im going to aberdeen in sept.im studying english and film and as far as i can make out it all looks pretty gud.nice city, great student vibe, i know its out of the way but theres loads to in aberdeen anyway.o and there are loads of my fellow countrymen and women (irish) over there.i have two mates who started there 2 years ao and they love it. i vivisted them and i gotta say i really really liked it.as someone said above somwhere.there are loads of cheap flights although i didnt liike the way i got semi stripped searched leaving for my flight.oooo well

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.