Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody help explain the second part of this question for me please?

I got as far as:
    Minimum speed -> tension in lower string = 0
    If \theta is the angle that the upper string makes with the vertical, resolving vertically: T\cos{\theta} = 2g
    Horizontally: T\sin{\theta} = \frac{2v^2}{r}

The mark scheme seems to have found r = 1.2 but I can't see where they get that from. It's probably just me having a moment and it's really obvious

Thank you!
    • Study Helper

(Original post by felecita)

I got as far as:
    If \theta is the angle that the upper string makes with the vertical, resolving vertically: T\cos{\theta} = 2g

The mark scheme seems to have found r = 1.2 but I can't see where they get that from. It's probably just me having a moment and it's really obvious

Thank you!
    Diagram if you haven't already.

A horizontal through P creates two triangles, whose sides are in ratio 3:4:5. Hence radius =1.2.

Or use Pythagoras.

ReputationRep:
    You're going to have to exercise your 3D visualtion skills here. The horiztal circle means that the there's a radial length and then a vertical downwards length from the centre of the circle downwards to the particle A/B with length 3.2/2 and a hypotenuse with length of the string, 2. I can't explain it very well, so hopefully the crappy diagrams below will help:

Side view:

3D-ish view:

You'll have to kind of imagine the green circle bulging out with the centre being the midpoint of the red line, where the red line passes through the middle of the centre. Kind of like a hula hoop thrown over a pole where the red line is the pole and the green circle is the hula hoop.

The blue lines are a crappily drawn triangle that's showcased in the side view above.

ReputationRep:
    Grrr at ghostwalkers ninja. :shakecane:

ReputationRep:

I got as far as:

Thank you!
    Yeah you are having one of those moments lol. Shame this isn't a moments question

Anyways, I think you are right with what you did. r = 1.2 comes from the string A or B which are both 2m and when you do 2sin\theta, (where \theta = 36.869... degrees), you get 1.2m for the horizontal distance.

I got 2.97ms^-1 for part ii. Is that the answer for that question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exo97)
    I got 2.97ms^-1 for part ii. Is that the answer for that question?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    x
    (Original post by Zacken)
    x
    (Original post by exo97)
    x
    Sorry for the delayed reply, thank you so much everybody! So the diagram just stays the same as the first part of the question? For some reason I thought that if the tension was 0 in the lower string, the whole thing would move in a bit and it wouldn't be 1.6 on the left. I don't think that made any sense whatsoever but yeah :lol:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.