The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

PGL

Hello,

I am actually trying to find some information out on Post Graduate Loans.
Can I just confirm if an EU national is allowed to apply for a PGL?
I spoke to someone from the Student Loan Company yesterday. They informed me that, as long as the EU student is living in the UK prior to the start of the course in question, they were entitled to apply for a loan.
On your site here I see the following information:
To apply for a Postgraduate Loan you must:

be a UK or EU national or have settled status (this means that there are no restrictions on how long you can stay in the UK),
normally live in England, and
have been living in the UK for at least three years before the start of your course.

and then:
If you’re an EU national and don’t normally live in England, your university must be in England.

The loan amount would be for the cost of the actual tuition fees. I just wondered if there was also a living costs loan that could be taken?
EU National yes.

You can find all the information on this link or someone will answer on the FSE forum.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=22757-Postgraduate-Loan

As you can see you can apply if you are in the UK and living here for the 3 years preceding the start of the course.
or
Living in the EEA or Switzerland for the 3 years prior and the Uni is in England. It doesnt make any reference on the site, but I can see it being true that there is no maintenance element for EU applicants on the 3 year rule, so it would be course fee only up to a max £10,000.

Am sure PQ or one of the others will confirm that aspect for you.

There is no separate living cost loan. Home students get up to £10 to cover the cost of both. You just need it confirming if EU students are limited to tuition fees only and if so may get less than £10k.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Quick Reply

Latest