Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    As you can already see I did 7 IGCSE's and got out of it with five A stars (in biology. chemistry, physics, russian and english) and two As. (in maths and computer and only because I was really sick during the exams)
    At that time I just couldnt see myself in anywhere but science so the fact that my subject choices were so narrow didnt bother me one bit. Quite foolish, I know

Later on, when I started researching universities I saw that even for a degree in the sciences one would require something from the humanities at either IGCSE or A level to get in.

I am currently doing four AS levels in biology, chemistry, physics and maths (and doing pretty well I should say) and plan to continue all four to A2.
    I was thinking that I should do another subject during the summer since I would need something to entertain myself with anyways and this would make a very useful pastime that would widen my uni options.

I was thinking IGCSE Environmental management or geography since those two are the only ones on the least that appeal to me. Then I taught that doing an extra AS would be a better idea since I ll be able to continue to A2 alongside my four subjects if I feel like it and it has more value. (or does it?)
    Now, AS level environmental management has coursework so it isnt an option. Marine science is well... a science.

So lets get to the point. Is it possible to self study AS level geography in a little over four months without previously studying IGCSE geography? I looked at some past papers and most questions looked like general knowledge to me but I really dont know...
    And in case I end up doing an ig, geography is worth more than environmental management, right?

Any advice or suggestion would be GREATLY appreciated!!
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Well, first of all you should choose a subject if you are interested in it. I am giving my O Level exams these days and they are going pretty well. I have planned to take Physics, Math, World History and English Lang. in my A Levels. It will be difficult to study an A Level subject without studying it in O Levels as it is the same case with me for World History and I am pretty stressed about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muskaan Mujahid)
    Well, first of all you should choose a subject if you are interested in it. I am giving my O Level exams these days and they are going pretty well. I have planned to take Physics, Math, World History and English Lang. in my A Levels. It will be difficult to study an A Level subject without studying it in O Levels as it is the same case with me for World History and I am pretty stressed about it.
    Yup I should say that I love geography. Always looked at atlases, read online and all that. So since i need an extra subject thats pretty much the only thing i WANT to do. (or something similar) Just that I ll have to do it without a teacher and in less than 5 months makes me wonder if its possible. The work load though i dont mind.

good luck with your O levels and future A levels by the way

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.