Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Teacher asking inappropriate questions in class Watch

So, there is this teacher at college who asks inappropriate questions.

He does this to everyone in almost every lesson and its annoying because these sort of questions are personal, not something to say in front of the whole class.

He would start the lesson and everything will be going fine until he deviates and starts asking me if i have a Polish passport, How long i have been in the UK.

As a teacher, there must be confidentiality and you should not be saying someone else's business out loud, nor asking them irrelevant questions such as above.

Its even ironic because he is a health and social care teacher

It just feels awkward when he does that because like the whole class was there.

He also almost embarrassed this one girl in class because of her family problems.

What do i do? some students tried to tell him that its not really nice to do that but he keeps doing it asking irrelevant personal questions in the middle of the lesson.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Have a private word with him, and explain you're not comfortable with it?

ReputationRep:
    ask him how often his mum makes love to his dad

give him a taste of his own medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    ask him how often his mum makes love to his dad

give him a taste of his own medicine.
    Looooooool that was hilarious

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think he has been reading too much of this teaching book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/17813511...3167350&sr=8-1

Because teachers should not care about inspectors.

Credit to Tait Coles.

ReputationRep:
    Can you not report him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

He does this to everyone in almost every lesson and its annoying because these sort of questions are personal, not something to say in front of the whole class.

He would start the lesson and everything will be going fine until he deviates and starts asking me if i have a Polish passport, How long i have been in the UK.

As a teacher, there must be confidentiality and you should not be saying someone else's business out loud, nor asking them irrelevant questions such as above.

He also almost embarrassed this one girl in class because of her family problems.

What do i do? some students tried to tell him that its not really nice to do that but he keeps doing it asking irrelevant personal questions in the middle of the lesson.
    Get your parents involved with the school

ReputationRep:

As a teacher he should know better; report him.

ReputationRep:

Firstly, your teacher should absolutely not be doing this. You and the other students who have complained are in the right, and he is in the wrong. He has no right to ask you about your nationality/residence status or embarrass other students by sharing details of their personal lives.

Do you have a teacher who's in charge of your pastoral care, such as form tutor or year head? I would discuss this issue with that teacher if they are the sort if person who would be sympathetic. If that teacher is any good, they will hopefully escalate things and/or point out to your teacher that asking this kind of question is not a good idea. Alternatively, if you have another teacher who you think would be sympathetic, you could go to them. I'd suggest doing this alone, or with one other person who's been affected or is a witness.

I wouldn't confront the teacher head on- but you could ask for a private word and point out to him that he's coming across in a xenophobic way and he's making you feel uncomfortable. You don't have to do this though, and certainly don't do it if you think it would backfire.

Finally, if trying a less formal route doesn't work, this is certainly something you could make a formal complaint about. Your college will have a process for this, and if they are any good, they will want to stamp on anything that could appear xenophobic/racist. Depending on how far you want to take this, you may be able to escalate things to the governors or the local authority if you need to. I would keep any formal complaints to things he's said about you only, rather than bringing up things he's said to other students, even if they are awful.

It's not ok for him to do this, and it sounds like he's already been told this by other students. Hopefully if he hears it from another member of staff he will stop, but if he won't he really doesn't sound like the sort of person who should be working with young people!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 13, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.