Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I apologise if this has been covered before and if there are already many threads on it. I have recently returned to the student room after a number of years away from it and am a bit out of touch with what's being discussed.

I just wondered if anyone else finds themselves in a similar predicament. I am in my 20s and am living back at home in the Midlands with my parents after university and a stint living in London. I have a good job and don't particularly mind living with my parents. I am reasonably happy with those areas of life.

However, I am extremely lonely and my social circle has become non-existent. I do have friendships that I continue online because distance dictates that it's not possible to see the people anymore (mostly university friends.) However, apart from dating, I haven't had any face to face social interaction for a long time.

I am not sure how to go about making some friends. I am doing some postgraduate study and do go to local universities to use the libraries etc. However, I'm not sure how to go about actually meeting like-minded people. I have had some success with internet dating and I'm not sure if there's anything similar but just for meeting new friends.

I am female and interested in the usual things really, although I am not much of a clubber (even in my undergrad days) I am willing to give almost any new activity a try if it meant kick starting my social life. Having said that, I'd be equally happy to meet people at a similar life stage who just want to go out and get coffee or drinks and share the details of their day.

I have quite a lot of free time over the next three months and would like to use this time to start to have a life outside of work again.

Any advice from anyone in a similar situation would be greatly appreciated.

You should try meet up dot com as you can search for your interests and go along to things. I've never used it, but a lot of my friends have & they love it. Also try joining a society at your uni, that's a great way to meet people. Maybe an evening in class in something as well.
    All the best!
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 13, 2016
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.