The Student Room Group

Handwriting Problems

Hi,

I'm approaching my A2 exams in maths, economics and physics and after a while of complaining of my poor handwriting, my teachers want me to take my exams on a laptop. I've always been a slow writer, but my handwriting has become progressively worse due to the increased time pressures.

I'm not keen on the idea on using a laptop as I'm not exactly a fast typer either and I feel that I'll become frustrated in the exams hitting the wrong keys. I'm trying to get the best trade-off between speed and readable writing, but I just can't write fast enough to get everything down in the exams. I've just about been able to get away with it in the past as I managed an A in AS economics and in GCSE English, but the economics essays this year are more of a challenge.

How do I improve handwriting quality and speed so that I don't have to use a laptop?

Example:
(edited 7 years ago)
Handwriting is a skill that requires lots of practise, just like everything else. However, that doesn't mean that you should simply write a lot more -- by doing so you would be practising having bad handwriting, if that makes sense. It means that you would benefit from targeted practise. Try writing as legibly as you can, regardless of how slow your handwriting is. Once you've reached a respectable level of legibility, force yourself to write like that. If you notice your handwriting getting sloppy, re-adjust and begin writing in the same, legible, slow style which you established previously. It'll take a while, but over time it will become progressively less-conscious. Eventually you'll be writing with both speed and legibility.

The thing is, you probably won't be able to develop this skill quickly-enough to use in your A2 exams, so you should probably learn to type fast instead.
Theres a thread here on it.

I have poor handwriting, especually as I use the PC these days, but its your responsibility and you should have deal with this problem a long time ago.

Fountain pens and slower deliberate writing where you take time to form the words makes things more legible. You just have to pay more attention and focus on the writing.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3991991&highlight=handwriting#primary_content

Quick Reply

Latest