struggling with A-levels choices again :(

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    ok so i was pretty set with these options - history, geography, gov+politics
    but as always my friend always have something to say about it

''gov+pol is not respected'' ''you wont get an offer from uni'' ''your mistake'' ''my mum said theyre not good complimentary subjects''

i know i shouldnt let them influence my choices because i really want to do what i think i'd enjoy and what i think i'll get top grades in but these comments are so annoying. the only difference is with my choice and my friend's is that they chose lit as their 3rd subject and they act all high and mighty >

i heard you only need two fac subjects for a good offer, is this true? im so unsettled by having to choose my a levels!

btw i do not know what i want to do. what i know is that im not going STEM

You should ideally be studying 4 AS subjects, especially if only 2 are facilitating.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, it is generally better to do subjects that you know/think you will enjoy (and subsequently do better in), than to do subjects that are 'respected', especially if you aren't sure what you want to do afterwards. Try not to worry about what your friends are doing, just focus on doing your best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BizzStrut)
    You should ideally be studying 4 AS subjects, especially if only 2 are facilitating.
    i see but this sixth form offers like next to nothing. i would do french but i dont feel like gcse has prepared me for the fluency i need for AS

(Original post by ihatePE)
    i see but this sixth form offers like next to nothing. i would do french but i dont feel like gcse has prepared me for the fluency i need for AS
    Just be prepared to maybe not be competitive for the most popular courses. 'None of the other ones interest me' probably won't mitigate your decision now when applying to universities.

ReputationRep:
    Government and Politics is absolutely fine. Yes it's not well respected but it's not 'soft' either. What matters more is the grade rather than the actual qualification itself.
    One thing I noticed about facilitating subjects is that it's only mandatory to have them if you intend to do a degree in that subject, i.e. if you want to do a Maths degree, Maths is a must-have, if you want to do Geography, then the A Level in that is must-have, but if you want to do Politics or Psychology at uni, you won't necessarily need the A Level in that subject. That's really what facilitating subjects are good for.
    There are subjects like RS/Philosophy, Economics and Computing that are considered on par with the facilitating subjects, but because you don't actually need the A level in that subject to do it at uni, it's not facilitating.

So no, your friend is wrong, I reckon you could still get into a good uni without ANY facilitating subjects except for maybe Oxbridge. While it's true that the facilitating subjects are well respected, a D in Physics is still worse than an A in Sociology for example, even if it required more work to get that grade in Physics.

(Original post by Kyle1198)
    One thing I noticed about facilitating subjects is that it's only mandatory to have them if you intend to do a degree in that subject,
    Counter example: Maths is required for more than just maths degrees. Chemistry, physics, engineering, and economics, to name just a few examples.

Politics indeed doesn't require any specific subject combination but in studying politics at AS the OP must understand he limits his options. He'd be equally eligible to study politics with history which would also open up other degree options, for instance.

ReputationRep:
    ihatePE I did Politics, History, Religious Studies and English Lit at AS and dropped English Lit during A2 after I'd gotten my offers and firmed. I got offers from three RG unis and one non RG but decent uni. Your choices are fine.

(Original post by Airmed)
    ihatePE I did Politics, History, Religious Studies and English Lit at AS and dropped English Lit during A2 after I'd gotten my offers and firmed. I got offers from three RG unis and one non RG but decent uni. Your choices are fine.
    Note this user had 4ASs and the OP has 3. The situations are not identical.

ReputationRep:
    Counter example: Maths is required for more than just maths degrees. Chemistry, physics, engineering, and economics, to name just a few examples.

Politics indeed doesn't require any specific subject combination but in studying politics at AS the OP must understand he limits his options. He'd be equally eligible to study politics with history which would also open up other degree options, for instance.
    Yeah what I mean is facilitating subjects are needed for certain uni courses.
    There are still plenty of degree subjects which do not require specific A Levels, so it's not a big deal at all.

ReputationRep:
    Government and Politics is absolutely fine. Yes it's not well respected but it's not 'soft' either. What matters more is the grade rather than the actual qualification itself.
    One thing I noticed about facilitating subjects is that it's only mandatory to have them if you intend to do a degree in that subject, i.e. if you want to do a Maths degree, Maths is a must-have, if you want to do Geography, then the A Level in that is must-have, but if you want to do Politics or Psychology at uni, you won't necessarily need the A Level in that subject. That's really what facilitating subjects are good for.
    There are subjects like RS/Philosophy, Economics and Computing that are considered on par with the facilitating subjects, but because you don't actually need the A level in that subject to do it at uni, it's not facilitating.

So no, your friend is wrong, I reckon you could still get into a good uni without ANY facilitating subjects except for maybe Oxbridge. While it's true that the facilitating subjects are well respected, a D in Physics is still worse than an A in Sociology for example, even if it required more work to get that grade in Physics.
    right exactly what i wanted to tell them, a bad grade in maths is probably worse off than A* in soft subject. but didnt feel like arguing. i thought i would choose maths but i think i'd fail in it and i dont plan to go anywhere with maths tbh, it's a subject i want to end at gcse

Yeah what I mean is facilitating subjects are needed for certain uni courses.
    There are still plenty of degree subjects which do not require specific A Levels, so it's not a big deal at all.
    Maybe not. I just wanna make sure he's entirely informed. Since everybody is arguing one way, I'm trying to act as the balance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    *_* want to show my friend this but dont want to make it into an argument tbh, thats so good! i'll be sure of my choices more now

ReputationRep:
    Also I would pick 4 AS' in case it turns out you absolutely hate one of your A Levels, that way you won't be stuck with it and it will give you the option of dropping it.

ReputationRep:
    i see, if my french exam goes well i'll choose it for AS

ReputationRep:
    I dropped English due to mental health issues. I was the only person in my Politics class doing 4 AS Levels (as I did Politics at a different school) and they got offers from RG unis.

Dundee university even allowed me to skip first year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    *_* want to show my friend this but dont want to make it into an argument tbh, thats so good! i'll be sure of my choices more now
    If you can do a fourth one though, do. Even for AS, just in case stuff goes wrong.

ReputationRep:
    ^ the 4th AS isn't necessary due to the A level reforms.

ReputationRep:
    They are fine but maybe do a fourth subject. The three subjects you've chosen are too similar imo so they might limit your options for university courses. Maybe do maths- that would open up more choices in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    ^ the 4th AS isn't necessary due to the A level reforms.
    what's happening next year with A levels?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.