The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Unregistered
No, why do we have to constantly seperate very good from very very good. It is fine how it is.

But everyone seems to be getting very good. So we need a higher level. Trust me Im not a fan of it but if thats what it takes to avoid exams getting harder just so that not too many people apply to the top unis.
Xenon
Around how many people in the country in 3 percent?

Huh? Dont understand
Reply 22
Icarus
Just heard the headlines;

"Record A Level Results - but are exams getting easier?"

To say this statement annoys me is putting it politely.

Koloth
We clearly need to bite back with our own witty and silly headlines. I'll start first:

"The News industry has grown - are standards of journalism slipping?

Heres another one:

"Paula Radcliffe set a new record in the 2003 London Marathon - but is the distance getting shorter?" :rolleyes:
Koloth
I just wanted to point out one possible error in your argument. Universities upping their entry requirements do not necessarily mean standards are droping. The pass rate could be increasing due to other factors like teaching quality, resources, social attitudes, increased opputunitiesetc...
In any case, aren't univerisities going to boost their requirements if more people are achieveing the higher grades? They are still going to have a finite number of places available and there going to want the best of those applicants filling those places.

Agreed, but i feel the standards must be adjusted to fall in line with the better teaching etc. The A-level must better differentiate between abilities, and this can only be done by either making exams harder or make the % needed for grades higher. If teaching quality keeps on increasing and better and better results are acheived eventually we will get in a situation where not only is everyone passing, but everyone is acheiving A-C. Imagine an exaggerated situation in which teaching quality, resources, social attitudes, increased opputunitiesetc are all so good that everyone acheives an 'A' grade. The exam has failed to distinguish between abilities. In this situation something must be done to get the proper spreaqd of results.

It's not nice but to preserve the quality of the A-Level they must get harder. Unfortunately some people must fail to maintain standards in mty opinion
Reply 24
Seven Sevens
Huh? Dont understand

Sorry, I meant how many people in the country make up the 3 percent?
Koloth
Heres another one:

"Paula Radcliffe set a new record in the 2003 London Marathon - but is the distance getting shorter?" :rolleyes:

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 26
It'sPhil...
Agreed, but i feel the standards must be adjusted to fall in line with the better teaching etc. The A-level must better differentiate between abilities, and this can only be done by either making exams harder or make the % needed for grades higher. If teaching quality keeps on increasing and better and better results are acheived eventually we will get in a situation where not only is everyone passing, but everyone is acheiving A-C. Imagine an exaggerated situation in which teaching quality, resources, social attitudes, increased opputunitiesetc are all so good that everyone acheives an 'A' grade. The exam has failed to distinguish between abilities. In this situation something must be done to get the proper spreaqd of results.

It's not nice but to preserve the quality of the A-Level they must get harder. Unfortunately some people must fail to maintain standards in mty opinion

Whether standards are raising because exams are getting easier or not is not the true issue to me. As long as the system is differentiating between abilities I do not see a problem. Once it has reached a point where its difficult to differentiate between abilities then I would agree that something has to be done. Making the exams easier is not the only solution. Giving marks (UMS) instead of grades or an A* could solve the problem. I certainly do not believe exams should get harder where there is a considerable large number failing. I believe education is supposed to open doors to new oppurtunities not close them.
Koloth
Whether standards are raising because exams are getting easier or not is not the true issue to me. As long as the system is differentiating between abilities I do not see a problem. Once it has reached a point where its difficult to differentiatiate between abilities then I would agree that something has to be done. Making the exams easier is not the only solution. Giving marks (UMS) instead of grades or an A* could solve the problem. I certainly do not believe exams should get harder where there is a coniderable large number failing. I believe education is supposed to open doors to new oppurtunities not close them.

Good point :smile: It does seem harsh that some people work for two yesars and get nothing out of it. I think that UMS idea could work well - and would really show how well people are doinng without the need for grades
Reply 28
Koloth
I believe education is supposed to open doors to new oppurtunities not close them.

So true. Going a bit OT: Koloth, are you gonna do Comp Sci too (I think I read that in another thread)? Also, your birthday is a day before mine :smile:.

Yes I am, interesting coincidense :smile: - Koloth
Reply 29
There is also an article from the guardian that is online today about the pass rates. Here is a small extract:

The pass rate at A-level has risen for the 22nd consecutive year to over 95%, results out tomorrow will show, although the rate of improvement has slowed.

Ministers and the exam boards are braced for the perennial claims of grade inflation because of a rise of about one percentage point in the proportion of A-E grades. The proportion of A grades has also risen slightly.

But the increase - based on provisional figures which are likely to rise even further once all the results have been counted - is smaller than the rise in 2002, the first full year of the new A-level syllabus. A-E grades shot up by 4.5 percentage points then, the fastest increase ever.

Last August the provisional pass rate was 94.3% for grades A-E and 20.7% for grade A. The final, completed rates were 95.4% and 21.5% respectively.

Pass rates have gone up every year since the "cap" was lifted in 1982.

The rest of the article can be found here:
http://education.guardian.co.uk/alevels2003/story/0,13394,1017569,00.html
Reply 30
Xenon
Sorry, I meant how many people in the country make up the 3 percent?

About 400,000 A-level students will get their results tomorrow.

If the the pass rate is 97% then the number that will fail will be around 12,000.
Reply 31
The main reason that we get more passes is because every year, the government says to the exam boards that they want a higher percentage of A's or whatever, so the boundries are changed slightly.

Nothing is easier, nothing has changed...
The government pushes it up every year, and the students suffer.

Why bother with A levels at all when all you get told when you achive something si that you effectivly cheating, because things are made easier for you, and that they are worthless now?

oh well...
just my thoughts...

Latest

Trending

Trending