Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Name:  Screenshot_20160513-234201.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  85.4 KB

Part a I found fine thanks to earlier help but part b is confusing.

I tried to use determinant to guide me but to no avail.

How do I do this? It's only worth one mark so I feel like I'm missing something easy.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Ravster)

How do I do this? It's only worth one mark so I feel like I'm missing something easy.
    If you multiply a 2x2 matrix by the 2x2 identity matrix you end up with the same matrix.

As A^n is just doing the transformation n times, what it's really asking you is how many times do you need to carry out the transformation to get back to where you started.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad

If you have some coordinates \begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \end{pmatrix} and you multiply it by the identity matrix I, you will get the same thing: \begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \end{pmatrix}.

As A is the rotation about the origin by certain angle, how many times will it have rotate by that angle to get to its original position k360^{\circ}

Edit: Zacken has pointed out that you would have to get to multiple of 360^{\circ} which would be the LCM of the angle you found in part(a) and 360.

ReputationRep:

Think about what the angle of rotation A represents and think about how many multiples of that rotation you need to get to a multiple of 360 degrees, which will be the identity matrix.

Remember that if A represents a rotation of \alpha then A^2 is a rotation of \alpha followed by a rotation of \alpha for a total rotation of 2\alpha. In general here A^n is a rotation of n\alpha degrees. So you need to find a n s,t n\alpha is a multiple of 360.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shivtek)
    Part was 135 I think. Or 45. I can't remember. I is the identity as you know so what it's asking is how many times does one apply A to get back to the start. So you do 360/(135 or 45). I got 8/3 I think
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    If you have some coordinates \begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \end{pmatrix} and you multiply it by the identity matrix I, you will get the same thing: \begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \end{pmatrix}.

A represents a transformation and it's saying that \mathrm{\underbrace{A \times A \times \times A \times .... \times A}_{n \ times}=X}

As A is the rotation about the origin by certain angle, how many times will it have rotate by that angle to get to its original position 360^{\circ}
    I'm going to have to butt in here and say that you want a natural n; so n=\frac{8}{3} is incorrect. You don't want to rotate to get to 360^{\circ} but rather, you want to rotate to get to a natural multiple of 360^{\circ}. Which is an important point here.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Zacken)
    That makes sense. You can't have a fraction of a multiplication. It would have made sense to evaluate a.
    Thanks for pointing it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    I'm going to have to butt in here and say that you want a natural n; so n=\frac{8}{3} is incorrect. You don't want to rotate to get to 360^{\circ} but rather, you want to rotate to get to a natural multiple of 360^{\circ}. Which is an important point here.
    Away good point I didn't read "positive integer"
    So really, raising it to the power of 8 would work, as it would be 0 rotation modulo 360. Thanks for pointing that out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shivtek)
    Away good point I didn't read "positive integer"
    So really, raising it to the power of 8 would work, as it would be 0 rotation modulo 360. Thanks for pointing that out!
    Yep, 8 is the only correct answer here since it specifies n being the smallest positive integer satisfying the condition. Right on with the rotation 0 modulo 360!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.