Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Define the moment of a couple? (2)
    Can i have a proper definition , every mark scheme is different?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayaz789)
    The moment  M of a couple is the product of either of the forces of magnitude  F of the couple and the perpendicular distance  d between those forces.
    Name:  couple.PNG
Views: 92
Size:  2.5 KB

M = Fd

For example, if two forces of magnitude  6 N acted on a body and the perpendicular distance between them was  10 m , the moment  M would be:

M = (6)(10) = 60 Nm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smithenator5000)
    The moment  M of a couple is the product of either of the forces of magnitude  F of the couple and the perpendicular distance  d between those forces.
    Name:  couple.PNG
Views: 92
Size:  2.5 KB

M = Fd

For example, if two forces of magnitude  6 N acted on a body and the perpendicular distance between them was  10 m , the moment  M would be:

M = (6)(10) = 60 Nm
    If i wrote Moment is the force * the perpendicular distance , would i get 2 marks?

ReputationRep:
    If i wrote Moment is the force * the perpendicular distance , would i get 2 marks?
    I'm no examiner but I think that what you just typed would earn one mark. The question asks specifically for the moment of a couple, so you should specify which force and which distance should be used in the calculation. Of course for two marks, do not include the diagram and example. I would probably write the following:

'(The moment of a couple is) the product of the magnitude of one the forces in a couple and the perpendicular distance between those two forces.'

ReputationRep:
    I'm no examiner but I think that what you just typed would earn one mark. The question asks specifically for the moment of a couple, so you should specify which force and which distance should be used in the calculation. Of course for two marks, do not include the diagram and example. I would probably write the following:

'(The moment of a couple is) the product of the magnitude of one the forces in a couple and the perpendicular distance between those two forces.'
    But in the ms it says the force * perpendicular distance at a given point?

ReputationRep:
    But in the ms it says the force * perpendicular distance at a given point?
    Could you please supply a link to it so I can read it?

ReputationRep:
    Could you please supply a link to it so I can read it?
    Im on my phone rn so ill send it tonight

ReputationRep:
    Im on my phone rn so ill send it tonight
    Okay, then.

ReputationRep:
    I would define a moment as:

Force * perpendicular distance (to the line of action of the force), from a pivot point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wunderbarr)
    I would define a moment as:

Force * perpendicular distance (to the line of action of the force), from a pivot point.
    That would get me 2 marks yeah

ReputationRep:
    That would get me 2 marks yeah
    Just remember, moments exist because there are forces that cause rotation around a pivot point, at a distance from the pivot point.

So the part about a "at a given point" is pretty much essential.

Lastly, the perpendicular distance is the shortest distance to the line of action of the force.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wunderbarr)
    Just remember, moments exist because there are forces that cause rotation around a pivot point, at a distance from the pivot point.

So the part about a "at a given point" is pretty much essential.

Lastly, the perpendicular distance is the shortest distance to the line of action of the force.
    Okay thanks.

ReputationRep:
    the moment when a couple breaks up
    yaay he's available

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iqra2159)
    the moment when a couple breaks up
    yaay he's available
    lol wth

ReputationRep:
    "Force multiplied by the perpendicular distancce from the pivot"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voltz)
    "Force multiplied by the perpendicular distancce from the pivot"
    Consider the fact that he said "of a couple". There are 2 forces in action here, both with equal magnitude and opposite direction as one of the first posters said.

What you defined was a moment. The moment of a couple would be:

The magnitude of one of the forces within a couple multiplied by the perpendicular distance between the two forces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M0nkey Thunder)
    Consider the fact that he said "of a couple". There are 2 forces in action here, both with equal magnitude and opposite direction as one of the first posters said.

What you defined was a moment. The moment of a couple would be:

The magnitude of one of the forces within a couple multiplied by the perpendicular distance between the two forces.
    That would not be the moment, it would be the torque you are calculating.

Moment: Force multiplied by pependicular distance from the pivot

Torque: One force in a couple force multiplied by the perpendicular distance between the two forces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voltz)
    That would not be the moment, it would be the torque you are calculating.

Moment: Force multiplied by pependicular distance from the pivot

Torque: One force in a couple force multiplied by the perpendicular distance between the two forces.
    But the problem is, the OP is calculating the moment of a couple. There is no reference to a pivot and so you must assume that they mean a torque.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.