The Student Room Group

National 5 Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

When drawing the repeating unit of a polymer do you have to put square brackets around it ?
Original post by Ethan100
When drawing the repeating unit of a polymer do you have to put square brackets around it ?

I don't think so I think you just meed to put the lines in the end to show it's a repeating unit
Reply 162

No.

But make sure you include the lines at the end of each side otherwise u lose the mark
Okay Last question I promise :P

Do I need to know a lot about proteins, I just found it at the end of this book and Im just wondering..

Do I need to know a lot about proteins, I just found it at the end of this book and Im just wondering..

I sat the exam last year and nothing really came up tbh so it might maybe come up although I can't remember anything from last year so... sorry lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 165

Is proteins even in the course 😶😶
Original post by Jay431
Is proteins even in the course 😶😶

I guess for knowldge which is not really required you can know that proteins are made of amino acids and nitrgen I think helps make that usually I think they use that as an example of a polymer

You mean amino acids and the amine functional groups/ peptide links?
Original post by Lewis H01
You mean amino acids and the amine functional groups/ peptide links?

Yeah NH2 or something like that ....
Yeah NH2 or something like that ....

Yeah I highly doubt you need to know that though... Don't worry much about it :smile:
I have never done anything in class about proteins so I don't think you need to know it
Thanks so much :smile:
Reply 172
Original post by studyranger
I guess for knowldge which is not really required you can know that proteins are made of amino acids and nitrgen I think helps make that usually I think they use that as an example of a polymer

I see. In class I havent really come across anything to do with it
Thanks so much :smile:

You're welcome. :smile:

Nope, think protiens are more in biology .
How do you work out the difference between addition and condensation?
Reply 176
Original post by SocialStudiesETC
How do you work out the difference between addition and condensation?

For the polymer section?
Original post by Jay431
For the polymer section?

Yeah, so if the question was something like "Which type of polymerisation is this?" How would you find out?
Yeah, so if the question was something like "Which type of polymerisation is this?" How would you find out?

If the chain is just carbon atoms then it's formed by addition polymerisation
If the chain has other types of atoms (eg. Carbon and nitrogen) then it's formed by condensation polymerisation...

Correct me if I am wrong anyone

For addition Polymerisation, I would recognise that the functional group of the monomer is the double bond.

For the condensation Polymerisation, I would recognise that there is an Oxygen atom ( I usually see its a carboxyl group and Hydroxyl group, they take a OH from the carboxyl group and H from alcohol to form water)

I am not 100% sure but If a question like that came up that's how I will tackle it !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending