Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trying to apply for student finance but don't have passport or original birth cert. Watch

ReputationRep:
    A passport takes 6 weeks to process but the deadline is the 27th. I was holding it off as I have a COPY of my birth certificate and thought it would be enough (lost my original)... what do I do?

also, is 27th (when we need to get our account approved) the absolute deadline or is it the deadline for making an account, etc.?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PressTabStart)
    A passport takes 6 weeks to process but the deadline is the 27th. I was holding it off as I have a COPY of my birth certificate and thought it would be enough (lost my original)... what do I do?

also, is 27th (when we need to get our account approved) the absolute deadline or is it the deadline for making an account, etc.?
    If you still live in the place you were born then go to the registry office and pay like £10ish for a replacement original copy, it'll only take them a few days. If you're not still local then it takes longer but it can be done.I think that deadline is to have the money paid to you in time for September, so if it's late then you'll have to self fund yourself for the first month or so. I was in the same position, the passport says up to 6 weeks but I got mine back in just over a week so you have time if you get it all sorted ASAP.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    The above is right.

The 6 weeks quoted is a maximum. Mine didn't take anywhere near as long. And we had bank holidays, I had an interview and had to send off some evidence I forgot. Mine was a first passport.

ReputationRep:
    What my mum did once when she needed a new passport before a holiday that was a week away was to actually go to the passport office in London. I think she got her passport the same day, or at most a few days later but she had to pay about three times as much as it normally costs and queue for ages. So that might be an option?

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean you gave a certified copy of your birth certificate or a photocopy? If it's a certified copy from the registrar it's fine, if it's a photocopy not a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PressTabStart)
    You can apply for SF up to 9 months after the start of your course. The 27th May is the last date for the submission of your application, where SF will guarantee that your funding will be in place for the start of your course. If you apply after that, you may well still get your funding then, but it can't be guaranteed - it then depends on how busy SF are, how many others apply after 27th May etc.

So basically, don't panic. Get the document(s) you need as per the advice above and just submit your application as soon as you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViewOnlyMum)
    Do you mean you gave a certified copy of your birth certificate or a photocopy? If it's a certified copy from the registrar it's fine, if it's a photocopy not a chance.
    It's the one that says "WARNING: NOT PROOF OF EVIDENCE"

ReputationRep:
    Never seen one of those, OK so mine is old and is a certified copy. I lost the original one and paid for a copy from the registry office. Mine says "certified copy of an entry of birth" but it does say at the bottom it is not evidence of the identity of the person presenting it, but that it to be expected.

As Kilx says, get your documents in order and then apply, you should make it. You cannot beat a passport for proof of ID even if it is an expensive one.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.