Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey! So I really want to get accepted into Cambridge and I'm doing my GCSE's next week and I'm just wondering what would approximately be the grades I need to just "tick the GCSE box". I go to a comprehensive school and hopefully will be in the top 10% of results but I'm just wondering what would exactly just look "okay" in their eyes. Would realistically 5A* 4A 1B look okay at worst? But if I pushed myself I think I can achieve 7A* 2A 1B. Advice would be appreciated
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TheNerdxP)
    Hey! So I really want to get accepted into Cambridge and I'm doing my GCSE's next week and I'm just wondering what would approximately be the grades I need to just "tick the GCSE box". I go to a comprehensive school and hopefully will be in the top 10% of results but I'm just wondering what would exactly just look "okay" in their eyes. Would realistically 5A* 4A 1B look okay at worst? But if I pushed myself I think I can achieve 7A* 2A 1B. Advice would be appreciated
    Cambridge don't really care about your GCSEs (Oxford do), either would be perfectly fine as long as you did well at A Level

ReputationRep:
    jneill would be able to answer this well
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Your GCSEs are absolutely fine. And not that important for Cambridge anyway. Do well in them, and then concentrate on your A-levels. Which course are you considering?

(Original post by Gingerbread101)
    Cambridge don't really care about your GCSEs (Oxford do), either would be perfectly fine as long as you did well at A Level
    Oxford doesn't care for GCSEs as much as TSR thinks. For most courses their pre-interview admissions tests are a much more important criteria for shortlisting for interview.

(Original post by Student403)
    jneill would be able to answer this well
    :hat2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Your GCSEs are absolutely fine. And not that important for Cambridge anyway. Do well in them, and then concentrate on your A-levels. Which course are you considering?

Oxford doesn't care for GCSEs as much as TSR thinks. For most courses their pre-interview admissions tests are a much more important criteria for shortlisting for interview.

:hat2:
    That's good to hear, what do you think would be the minimum for me to get for reassurance? and I want to take Physics, Mechanical Maths and English Literature for A-Level and Law for a degree
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    That's good to hear, what do you think would be the minimum for me to get for reassurance? and I want to take Physics, Mechanical Maths and English Literature for A-Level and Law for a degree
    There is no minimum.
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...irements-facts

Although for Law, 1 or 2 colleges do put some weight on GCSE's - e.g. Churchill. But for most colleges it really doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    There is no minimum.
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...irements-facts

Although for Law, 1 or 2 colleges do put some weight on GCSE's - e.g. Churchill. But for most colleges it really doesn't matter.
    Ah I see Well in your opinion roughly what would you consider to be the least amount of GCSE grades for my application to still be strong (including Churchill etc)
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Ah I see Well in your opinion roughly what would you consider to be the least amount of GCSE grades for my application to still be strong (including Churchill etc)
    Honestly, people get offers with no A*s. I've told you the position and given you the link to Cambridge's page:

GCSEs
    With the exception of those for Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (grade C or above in GCSE Double Award Science and Mathematics), there are no GCSE requirements for entry to Cambridge. Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five As or A*s at GCSE. However, there are always exceptions and one of the strengths of the Cambridge admissions system is its ability to assess all applicants individually.

Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the school/college performance and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE.

It's not your GCSEs that make or break your application, it's the whole package: AS-levels (if taken), A-levels, interview, Law Test, PS, reference, etc, etc. Everything. GCSEs are just one part, and not the most important.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, people get offers with no A*s. I've told you the position and given you the link to Cambridge's page.

It's not your GCSEs that make or break your application, it's the whole package: AS-levels (if taken), A-levels, interview, Law Test, PS, reference, etc, etc. Everything. GCSEs are just one part, and not the most important.
    *Phew* Thankyou very much for your help! Do you know much about the Law test? I'm just afraid incase others have an advantage against me if they're doing it at A-Level and I have no idea what to write. Is it just general knowledge or an essay?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    *Phew* Thankyou very much for your help! Do you know much about the Law test? I'm just afraid incase others have an advantage against me if they're doing it at A-Level and I have no idea what to write. Is it just general knowledge or an essay?
    Applicants with A-level Law do not have an advantage, and it is not a prerequisite for Law at Cambridge. (Most applicants don't do A-level Law).

http://ba.law.cam.ac.uk/applying/cambridge_law_test/

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/law

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...cification.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Applicants with A-level Law do not have an advantage, and it is not a prerequisite for Law at Cambridge. (Most applicants don't do A-level Law).

http://ba.law.cam.ac.uk/applying/cambridge_law_test/

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/law

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...cification.pdf
    Thankyou very much! You've helped an awful lot! Very much appreciated ^.^

ReputationRep:
    What you expect is the average for a successful Cambridge applicant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    What you expect is the average for a successful Cambridge applicant.
    What is that supposed to mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    What is that supposed to mean?
    It means the average successful cambridge applicant has 5A*'s.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.