Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am really passionate about religious studies and it is truly the subject that interests me the most. I really want to do it at uni but don't know if it's a good degree and lead to good enough jobs? Please help!

ReputationRep:
    No it's not! You're wasting your time

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Popcornlover)
    I am really passionate about religious studies and it is truly the subject that interests me the most. I really want to do it at uni but don't know if it's a good degree and lead to good enough jobs? Please help!
    Hello, I love to hear your passion and enthusiasm for Religious Studies, as it is a truly captivating subject to study at unvieristy. If it really does interest you, then it will be for you and it is most certainly a good degree. It encompasses all that is central to the world we live in. It teaches you a tremendous amount of history from the pre-modern to the current day, contains all about languages, the bible is a fine piece of literature which at unvieristy can be interpreted in so many different ways and also incorporates that of politics, anthropology and is a subject that everyone has an opinion on and is so crucial to the world we live in.

Regarding job opportunity. It rarely does limit you from anything and beside the obvious of the ministry and charity related jobs. You can get jobs in the civil service, go into finance and other business'. Virtually anything. Most employees for rather large firms like these different degrees as they provide a different perspective on the company. For example, 9 people may apply for a job all with business degrees (fairly boring and not unique). But one applying with a degree in Religious Studies is the one that may just stand out. So it doesn't limit you and there is a huge miss conception of poeple who do Theology or Religious Studies beocme priests. Rather only 10% or so actually go to be ordained or join the ministry.

Hope this helped

(Original post by haa87)
    No it's not! You're wasting your time

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And why is it. In any way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaron2515)
    Hello, I love to hear your passion and enthusiasm for Religious Studies, as it is a truly captivating subject to study at unvieristy. If it really does interest you, then it will be for you and it is most certainly a good degree. It encompasses all that is central to the world we live in. It teaches you a tremendous amount of history from the pre-modern to the current day, contains all about languages, the bible is a fine piece of literature which at unvieristy can be interpreted in so many different ways and also incorporates that of politics, anthropology and is a subject that everyone has an opinion on and is so crucial to the world we live in.

Regarding job opportunity. It rarely does limit you from anything and beside the obvious of the ministry and charity related jobs. You can get jobs in the civil service, go into finance and other business'. Virtually anything. Most employees for rather large firms like these different degrees as they provide a different perspective on the company. For example, 9 people may apply for a job all with business degrees (fairly boring and not unique). But one applying with a degree in Religious Studies is the one that may just stand out. So it doesn't limit you and there is a huge miss conception of poeple who do Theology or Religious Studies beocme priests. Rather only 10% or so actually go to be ordained or join the ministry.

Hope this helped
    Thank you for in dept perspective. I am now applying to do business as I am also passionate about it haha I am boring. But I hope I will be able to do religious studies in a module in first year!

Thank you for in dept perspective. I am now applying to do business as I am also passionate about it haha I am boring. But I hope I will be able to do religious studies in a module in first year!
    Haha it's fine. There was funny enough a time I wanted to do business studies about 2 years ago until I encounted theology. I did business at A Level thinking all my life I wanted to do it, as I thought it was the future and what makes the world go round etc.

Dropped it after first year and never went to three months of lessons. It was by far the most tedious subject ever and I think before you make a decision to do it at degree level. Make sure you've had some sort of experience and are sure it's for you. If you do it currently at A Level and enjoy it, then go ahead. But if not just be careful cause it may just destroy your life hahah.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaron2515)
    Haha it's fine. There was funny enough a time I wanted to do business studies about 2 years ago until I encounted theology. I did business at A Level thinking all my life I wanted to do it, as I thought it was the future and what makes the world go round etc.

Dropped it after first year and never went to three months of lessons. It was by far the most tedious subject ever and I think before you make a decision to do it at degree level. Make sure you've had some sort of experience and are sure it's for you. If you do it currently at A Level and enjoy it, then go ahead. But if not just be careful cause it may just destroy your life hahah.

Good luck
    Haha I am Scottish student so I have already done it as a higher and enjoyed it equally as much as religious studies. Making a decision between the two was definitely difficult but now I see myself as only doing business. But I still love religious studies equally haha

Haha I am Scottish student so I have already done it as a higher and enjoyed it equally as much as religious studies. Making a decision between the two was definitely difficult but now I see myself as only doing business. But I still love religious studies equally haha
    Oh right I see. As long as you enjoy it and the two can correlate. E.g. Business ethics haha. Very important of course and will link with the environmental ethics.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.