Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    After a series of severe health issues, I took gap year between 2013 until now for recovery. Upon recovery this year, I decided to stop with my course at my uni and apply for a new course, because I think actuarial science is better fit for me. I started my undergraduate course in 2010 at a respectable university in London, and did not do particularly well, especially in year two when my health issues started to get severe, even thou I passed the exams successfully.

After a several emails exchange, Heriot-Watt asked for scanned copy of my A-Level certificates and record of results when I was in Uni.

I would like to know how much attention do they usually pay regarding my results I had for my first two years of my studies. I am worried my "not so good" results in Uni will make a big impact on decision, even thou they have commented that I have excellent A-Level results.

I am very determined to study there and I will definitely make the most out of what the course will offer. I have already started reading notes about CT1 and finanical maths to just reivse what I had done before. I really hope they will offer me a place.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Drewma007,

Its quite a complicated case... I will do my best to help you out.

It may be easier if I have more details from you so can you send me a private message with some more details about yourself. UCAS ID and your real name would be good, then I look you up on our system.

If you prefer you can always contact the admissions tutor directly on [email protected] however Holly (the admissions tutor for Actuarial Science) is on holiday at the moment so it may take a few days for the department to get back to you.

Cheers,
    Keir

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heriot-Watt University)
    Hi Drewma007,

Its quite a complicated case... I will do my best to help you out.

It may be easier if I have more details from you so can you send me a private message with some more details about yourself. UCAS ID and your real name would be good, then I look you up on our system.

If you prefer you can always contact the admissions tutor directly on [email protected] however Holly (the admissions tutor for Actuarial Science) is on holiday at the moment so it may take a few days for the department to get back to you.

Cheers,
    Keir
    Hello Keir,

Holly was the one who asked me for the transcript via email, and i sent my transcripts out last Friday.
    Guess what, I recieved an unconditional offer from you guys today, so I guess the problem has been sorted.

I am generally very pleased with you guys, and your admission staffs have been very helpful.
    I am still waiting for the deicisions from other unis before I can make reply to your offer.

I have heard your institution is one of the best universities in the UK offering "practical course" for actuarial science. Even thou it will be a big change in location, I am really considering coming over to study at your institution.

Thank you anyway!

Regards,
    Andrew
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by drewma007)
    Hello Keir,

Holly was the one who asked me for the transcript via email, and i sent my transcripts out last Friday.
    Guess what, I recieved an unconditional offer from you guys today, so I guess the problem has been sorted.

I am generally very pleased with you guys, and your admission staffs have been very helpful.
    I am still waiting for the deicisions from other unis before I can make reply to your offer.

I have heard your institution is one of the best universities in the UK offering "practical course" for actuarial science. Even thou it will be a big change in location, I am really considering coming over to study at your institution.

Thank you anyway!

Regards,
    Andrew
    Hi Andrew,

Congrats!!! :banana:

Very pleased you had a good experience and I will pass on your message to Holly.

Totally understand that it is a massive decision. Our Actuarial Science coursedoes offer a lot of practical experience. It also offers max accreditation for 8 of the exams (CT1 - CT8). We also offer a diploma in industrial training (year out to work for a company) or a year abroad (at our Malaysia campus). So there are lots of things you can add on to your degree here at Heriot-Watt.

If you have any questions about HW or if you are looking to come for a visit just ask .

Cheers,
    Keir

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.