Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just generally speaking, how long have people waited for a response?

Applications closed at the end of March, but I've literally heard nothing since, so its been a good 6 weeks! Other people on my course have already had skype interviews and have confirmed interviews next month - they have had work experience with the company before so I guess they're fast tracked.

I was planning on calling them up just to check how much longer it will be, but is this a reasonable time to be waiting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosiesaurus)
    Just generally speaking, how long have people waited for a response?

Applications closed at the end of March, but I've literally heard nothing since, so its been a good 6 weeks! Other people on my course have already had skype interviews and have confirmed interviews next month - they have had work experience with the company before so I guess they're fast tracked.

I was planning on calling them up just to check how much longer it will be, but is this a reasonable time to be waiting?
    this is how long is a piece of string type answer. It will vary massively. Just call them to ask about the status of your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Agree with JSP entirely. Companies are different. If its just an applicationm then send it and forget about it for at least six weeks imo, they coukd be dealing with many thousands. your time is better spend applying for other jobs. Normally in the job description they will give you a timeframe. If it becomes that urgent then as JSP said just call HR.

ReputationRep:
    I only applied to a few, but yeh for one i applied at the end of august as soon as applications opened, had done all the tests etc by the end of september and didnt hear from them until March when i had a telephone interview and then an assessment day. So i waited six months 😂. But on the other hand i applied to a company in november and had heard back and had an interview bu january.

Just send them a quick email if you're worried but it won't make any difference to anything except might stop you thinking about it, lots of companies are just really slow at these things. The time would be better spent applying to other jobs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiquidGold)
    I only applied to a few, but yeh for one i applied at the end of august as soon as applications opened, had done all the tests etc by the end of september and didnt hear from them until March when i had a telephone interview and then an assessment day. So i waited six months 😂. But on the other hand i applied to a company in november and had heard back and had an interview bu january.

Just send them a quick email if you're worried but it won't make any difference to anything except might stop you thinking about it, lots of companies are just really slow at these things. The time would be better spent applying to other jobs
    oh wowwww that is a long time!

Yeah, I am applying for other stuff as well, I just wanted to check I wasn't gonna sound impatient calling them up!
    It happened before that after months of waiting to hear back I called them up and they'd literally lost my application -.- with big companies it very much feels like hurling your cv out into the void... but someone has to get the job at the end of the day!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.