Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When I get 3 co-ordinates A(6,-2) B(4,1) and C(-2,-3)

and am asked to find the area of the triangle ABC, i draw the triangle on the axis and I have to work out the length of the line of 2 of the side but my problem is i don't know which lines...... like how do I know which one is the base then both BC and AC look like they could be the base.

thx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeja12)
    When I get 3 co-ordinates A(6,-2) B(4,1) and C(-2,-3)

and am asked to find the area of the triangle ABC, i draw the triangle on the axis and I have to work out the length of the line of 2 of the side but my problem is i don't know which lines...... like how do I know which one is the base then both BC and AC look like they could be the base.

thx
    You can take either of them to be the base, you'll get the same answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    You can take either of them to be the base, you'll get the same answer.
    Well when I do height as AB I get root13 and base as BC I get root 52
    when I work it out I get the area to be 13 (correct)

but when I use AC as the base i get root 65 and when I work it out I get 13root5/2

ReputationRep:
    Well when I do height as AB I get root13 and base as BC I get root 52
    when I work it out I get the area to be 13 (correct)

but when I use AC as the base i get root 65 and when I work it out I get 13root5/2
    If you use AC as the base, the height is not going to be AB anymore, the height will be something else...

ReputationRep:
    If you use AC as the base, the height is not going to be AB anymore, the height will be something else...
    What would be the height if I use AC then and how do I know every time which lengths to use for height and which to use for the base? thx and sorry for being stupid ;p

ReputationRep:
    What would be the height if I use AC then and how do I know every time which lengths to use for height and which to use for the base? thx and sorry for being stupid ;p
    The sketch should show what the height will be if you use one side as the base. It's the perpendicular distance from the base to the third vertex.

ReputationRep:
    The sketch should show what the height will be if you use one side as the base. It's the perpendicular distance from the base to the third vertex.
    Im not sure what you mean by the perpendicular distance from the base to the third vertex, do you know of any video explaining this? I can't seem to find anything

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure what you mean by the perpendicular distance from the base to the third vertex, do you know of any video explaining this? I can't seem to find anything

ReputationRep:
    So in this case the height would be AB since it's the shortest length and then I would draw a line down from B making AC the base?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 14, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.