Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Admittedly, tricks isnt the word for it. But there are certain features of the scientifica calculator that most of us have bought for our exams that could let us proof check our answers! I know of a few that come in handy for C3 and C4:

Use the integration button to calculate an integral.
    Use the differentiation button to calculate differentials.

Anybody know of any others?

ReputationRep:
    If you don't know already, learn how to store numbers on your calculator. Especially useful for stats and mechanics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lordoftheties)
    Admittedly, tricks isnt the word for it. But there are certain features of the scientifica calculator that most of us have bought for our exams that could let us proof check our answers! I know of a few that come in handy for C3 and C4:

Is that not cheating? I thought you weren't allowed calculators with the ability to integrate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaylaB)
    Is that not cheating? I thought you weren't allowed calculators with the ability to integrate
    Correct. but when has anyone ever checked? Also, I doubt there are any calculators that DONT readily available from the highstreet...apart from the non-scientific ones!

ReputationRep:
    you can spell words... √641335095556 is a good place to start

Spoiler:
    Show
    you must turn it upside down ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaylaB)
    Correct. but when has anyone ever checked? Also, I doubt there are any calculators that DONT readily available from the highstreet...apart from the non-scientific ones!

I wish people understood what is the difference between numeric and symbolic integration/differentiation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaadKaleem)
    I wish people understood what is the difference between numeric and symbolic integration/differentiation.
    Never knew it was symbolic...forgive me good sir.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I have the Casio fx-9860, and you can do loads with it.

1) You can check your factorisations by going to Equation ---> Polynomial and tying in the coefficients of your equation

2) You can solve simultaneous equations by going to equation --->Simultaneous

3) You can solve any trig problem by typing in sinx/cosx/tanx, (for 'x' press the button two down from shift) and then separately typing in what this equation is equal to. Then use the 'gsolv' function to find the intersection points (the solutions). Alternate between radians and degrees by pressing shift, setup and scrolling down to rad/deg. For trig, automatically set the zoom level by pressing 'v-window' then 'trig'. Use 'INIT' (initialise) for other graphs.

4)You can check if you've plotted a modulus graph correctly by drawing it. But this time when in graph mode, you must press shift, 4 to get into the 'catalogue of functions' and scroll down until you get 'ABS' (absolute). Press enter and type in your modulus equation to draw it.

5) You can do recursion by going into the recursion mode from the menu. Just replace the x(n) from the question with 'an' (F2). Then press SET and scroll down to a(0) to set the 1st value.

There are literally a million things you can do with a graphical calculator! They are allowed because none of the above (or ANY function on a graphical calculator) is symbolic, just numerical.

I use the Casio FX-991ES at the moment.
    With regards to integration, you may get a error if the value of the integrand at one of the limits isn't defined. Adjusting the limit slightly will still serve as a useful check, because the values should be approximately the same.
    Also, you can check indefinite integrals by choosing appropriate limits too, if you have some time to spare.
    Learning how to use the CALC button is very useful, for example when you have for fill out a table for the trapezium method, or when you have to prove that a root exists in an interval.
    Another thing that people don't realise is that these calculators can convert between rectangular and polar coordinates. On the Casio FX-991ES you can do this in two ways, using the Pol and Rec buttons, or in complex mode.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.