Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I submitted some work for an English subject at a-level and having looked back at it today, realised that I left in a part which I was meant to completely remove. It suggests that I have plagiarised someone else's work when I wasn't actually meant to leave it in at all! Does anyone know what I can do about it as the work has already been sent off. Or, what are the consequences for getting caught?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by annabelle134)
    I submitted some work for an English subject at a-level and having looked back at it today, realised that I left in a part which I was meant to completely remove. It suggests that I have plagiarised someone else's work when I wasn't actually meant to leave it in at all! Does anyone know what I can do about it as the work has already been sent off. Or, what are the consequences for getting caught?
    Email your teacher ASAP to see if it has been sent off to the moderators yet
    If the exam board check it for plagiarism and it's found that you've taken words from another source, then that work could potentially get no marks :erm: does it just make it sound like you've copied something, or is it literally a quote taken from another source that you haven't credited?

ReputationRep:
    It makes it sound like I copied something word for word which I didn't mean to do. I had several draft final pieces and in the rush to get it handed in, I printed off and handed in the wrong one (This was probably about a month ago).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    Email your teacher ASAP to see if it has been sent off to the moderators yet
    If the exam board check it for plagiarism and it's found that you've taken words from another source, then that work could potentially get no marks :erm: does it just make it sound like you've copied something, or is it literally a quote taken from another source that you haven't credited?

It makes it sound like I copied something word for word which I didn't mean to do. I had several draft final pieces and chose to continue to edit one which I wanted to use for the final piece (without the sentence from the article) in the rush to get it handed in, I printed off and handed in the wrong one (the one with the plagiarism in) The hand in date was probably about a month ago.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Contact your teacher, potentially even contact the exam board and tell them that you've sent in the wrong piece. Explain exactly what happened, why you had a part that appears to be plagiarised and maybe even attach the correct version.

Rules on plagiarising are generally quite strict but there's leeway. You may have to live with it or find out that all your work is disqualified. You may get an exception to make amends. If you own up to the mistake they shouldn't have grounds to assume you did just copy the work. But you may just get told it's your own fault for leaving it late and not checking it.

Get in contact ASAP and try to get it sorted.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by annabelle134)
    It makes it sound like I copied something word for word which I didn't mean to do. I had several draft final pieces and chose to continue to edit one which I wanted to use for the final piece (without the sentence from the article) in the rush to get it handed in, I printed off and handed in the wrong one (the one with the plagiarism in) The hand in date was probably about a month ago.
    The school's internal deadline may have been a long time ago, but that doesn't mean it's been sent off, it's still worth checking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    The school's internal deadline may have been a long time ago, but that doesn't mean it's been sent off, it's still worth checking
    Okay. Thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.