The Student Room Group

Only a chump would buy an engagement ring with a "real" diamond.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheGuyReturns
I put the real in quotation marks for a reason...

Why'd you do that?
These days lab grown diamonds look exactly the same as naturally occurring diamonds. Chemically, lab grown diamonds have actually overtaken naturally occurring diamonds in purity and consistency in structure.

Of course, people just don't want to accept these facts because it would mean only one thing, that the swathes of women who claim they just like the look of diamonds are full of ****... and it's really the status and prestige they are attracted to. Which is the actual reason for the obsession with naturally occurring diamonds.

i wouldnt mind a popring if someone really loved me
Original post by xobeauty
Why are they growing diamonds in a lab that takes away the awe

They are useful in science and industry. Research in carbon molecular structures (diamond is a carbon structure just like coal) has lead to materials such as graphene and carbon nanotubes that have lots of potential all the way from curing motor neurone diseases to building space elevators.

Somewhat throwing the baby out with the bathwater if you would stop all that just to keep the rarity of diamonds for your jewellery :indiff:
(edited 7 years ago)
there is an irrational liking for naturally occurring diamonds. For starters they arent man made so this can be of certain appeal.

It's impossible to argue this because the liking that people have for naturally occurring diamonds is intangible.
Reply 24
These days lab grown diamonds look exactly the same as naturally occurring diamonds. Chemically, lab grown diamonds have actually overtaken naturally occurring diamonds in purity and consistency in structure.

Of course, people just don't want to accept these facts because it would mean only one thing, that the swathes of women who claim they just like the look of diamonds are full of ****... and it's really the status and prestige they are attracted to. Which is the actual reason for the obsession with naturally occurring diamonds.

If my partner got me a lab grown diamond I'd chase him out of the house because I know he can afford a real one. :h:
Look man, I was just trying to **** stir and get angry hoes to start an argument. :/

"The sky is blue."

"interesting to see there have been 100 views and no counter arguments... "

:fuhrer:
Original post by Ciel.
If my partner got me a lab grown diamond I'd chase him out of the house because I know he can afford a real one. :h:

A vegan in favor of buying blood diamonds. I've seen it all now. :lol:
Original post by STEMisSuperior.
there is an irrational liking for naturally occurring diamonds. For starters they arent man made so this can be of certain appeal.

It's impossible to argue this because the liking that people have for naturally occurring diamonds is intangible.

That's why I'm saying meh to it being grown in a lab.
Of course they like the diamonds for their value. There aren't swathes of women claiming they want diamonds just because of the way they look. Nobody would spend thousands of pounds on a rock just because of the way it looks.

Asked you a question
Reply 30

Currently a vegetarian. Blood diamonds? That's a huge generalization, the industry is, of course, far from perfect but the term blood diamond applies to diamond trade from certain areas only.
Why'd you do that?

Because I know they're still actual diamonds, even if they're grown in a lab... but lots of people refer to naturally occurring diamonds as "real" and lab grown as "fake".
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kKmpCxyFUys[/video]
I will still buy the real thing coz I have money and don't need to be a cheapskate.

Each to their own though. If you gotta feel better for going fake, that's your problem.
Original post by cosmic angel
Of course they like the diamonds for their value.

The point that's been alluded to earlier is that diamonds don't have much value. They're not rare and they're not valuable, but a cartel means that they're expensive to buy.

Diamonds lose more value going out the shop than a car does when it's driven off the dealer's forecourt.

If you want someone to show they're prepared to waste money, get them to give it to me instead...
Reply 36
Because I know they're still actual diamonds, even if they're grown in a lab... but lots of people refer to naturally occurring diamonds as "real" and lab grown as "fake".

Because they are 'fake' in a way. Artificially made. Human made. Not from mother nature...
Lab grown diamonds are at least as expensive. The global supply of diamonds is too low for the demand.

Is it still a real Diamond and it's the quality of the diamond the exact same? Like exact will last forever?

Diamonds decay to graphite anyway. Nothing lasts forever.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by brainhuman
I will still buy the real thing coz I have money and don't need to be a cheapskate.

Each to their own though. If you gotta feel better for going fake, that's your problem.

If you feel better for wasting your money when you can't tell the difference...
Original post by brainhuman

still amazes me to see so many guys choosing to get married and willingly cucking themselves

Quick Reply

Latest