Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Interested in the subject in Land Economy due to its disciplinary nature with the mixture of law and economics, I have decided to apply for Land Economy in the year of 2017. It's about time for the Land Economy applicants to start their own thread this year.
    So does anyone think of any colleges preferences? What other unis are you applying for? Welcome and open to opinions from Land Economists in cambridge to talk about suggestions and strategies to apply for the subject...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie133)
    I'm an offer holder for Land Economy 2016 entry, so I probably know as much as you about what the course is about (I'm still not sure). But if you have any questions about the application process then feel free to ask
    Congrats to your cambridge offer!

So actually I wanna ask, do I need to prepare much reading materials? I have been reading books about urban development and valuations, as well as law (sometimes economics...). I have also been viewing the newspaper articles abt UK property issues, as well as the legal issues involved in it. Dunno whether preparing these materials are enough...? Are there any tips to apply for Land Economy...?

ReputationRep:
    For the purposes of writing your personal statement and supplementary answer questionnaire (SAQ), I'd say reading is essential, as you want it to be very academic and show your interest in the subject. I don't know if you've seen the Land Economy reading for new students but you should check it out if not --> http://www.landecon.cam.ac.uk/Underg...r-new-students
    Having said that, at interview it is unlikely they will ask you directly about the books, but you should try to find a way to get what you've read into your answers to their questions. Name dropping can really set you apart.
    At the end of the day it's not what you know, but how you think and whether you're genuinely interested in the subject that counts, so reading can only get you so far. Try to do other extra-curricular things like competitions (I did Target 2.0) or write an essay/extended project for example. I didn't do any specific to LE but work experience could look good? In one of my interviews they asked me about my work experience (at a Bank) and what I learned from it, which I hadn't thought about a lot as I thought it wouldn't be that relevant to LE, so make sure everything you write in your personal statement (when you get to that stage) you can elaborate on and speak in depth about otherwise it does more harm than good.
    Probably the most important thing with all Cambridge courses though is your AS UMS, (assuming you're doing A levels).
    Thanks for your reply.
    I am going to do an extended essay (IB) about the influence of property prices once a particular transportation facility is built. Also, I am going to do an internship in a solicitor firm. Dunno whether it's okay...?

After looking at the Q&A section, it is a concern for me of writing the 'additional statement' on Land Economy at the SAQ. How had you written for it?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Probably the most important thing with all Cambridge courses though is your AS UMS, (assuming you're doing A levels).
    No longer... no UMS for reformed (linear) AS and A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    Extended essay sounds good, really relevant. I think any work experience can be good it just depends what they get you to do and how much you get out of it.

I wouldn't worry about it, if i remember correctly it's only 500 characters (a small paragraph) of writing for the additional statement. My main personal statement was all about Economics as that was what I was applying for everywhere else, so the SAQ is basically a chance to mention the things that are more relevant to LE specifically. What are you thinking of applying for other than Land Economy?
    Economics in other UK unis (KCL, Warwick, Durham...)
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Oh yeah of course! That completely slipped my mind. What are Cambridge going to do now then? GCSEs like Oxford?
    No. Admissions Assessments (tests) for most courses.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...ns-assessments

For LandEc it's a TSA taken at interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrischwong)
    Interested in the subject in Land Economy due to its disciplinary nature with the mixture of law and economics, I have decided to apply for Land Economy in the year of 2017. It's about time for the Land Economy applicants to start their own thread this year.
    So does anyone think of any colleges preferences? What other unis are you applying for? Welcome and open to opinions from Land Economists in cambridge to talk about suggestions and strategies to apply for the subject...
    Land Economy

Cambridge's Back Door
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Nidhoggr)
    Land Economy

Cambridge's Back Door
    2015 LandEc course acceptance rate 20.3%
    2015 University overall acceptance rate 21.0%

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Thank you! so sick of people thinking it's easy to get in to. Also the amount of farming jokes I get is ridiculous (because Land=Farm for most people). Even my teachers have been joining in :facepalm:
    To be fair, it is a degree for aristocratic estate managers.

(jk...)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! so sick of people thinking it's easy to get in to. Also the amount of farming jokes I get is ridiculous (because Land=Farm for most people). Even my teachers have been joining in :facepalm:
    Lol that feeling when you go to Cambridge but people still think you are a joke academically

Must feel batman

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Aless)
    Hey!
    Great to see people interested in studying Land Economy at Cambridge! I just completed my B.A. in Land Economy at Downing College and got a First every year. I remember how hard it was when I was interviewing to find good material online: since Land Economy is such a small degree, there simply isn’t the same amount of good information online on how to prepare for interviews. My school was not very helpful either, as they didn’t really know the course.If any of you are interested, I would be happy to give you either online or in-person (if you are in London) tuition//advice/practice interviews to maximise your chances of getting in. I remember my interview experience very well, and also helped my Director of Studies think of questions to ask candidates for interview in my last year. I have helped someone with the entire application process before who successfully received an offer from Pembroke College.If you’re interested, send me a message! Aless
    Good to see a former student here. It would be more helpful if you assisted in the thread, rather than via PM

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Good to see a former student here. It would be more helpful if you assisted in the thread, rather than via PM

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi there!

I am studying in London and have applied for Land Economy. Would you care to share some helpful advice with me please? I would be ever so grateful!

ReputationRep:
    Hi I applied for Land Econ at Cambridge. Has anyone had an interview offer yet? I haven't heard - does that mean it's a no
    for me?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by the-unicorn)
    Hi I applied for Land Econ at Cambridge. Has anyone had an interview offer yet? I haven't heard - does that mean it's a no
    for me?
    Much too soon. Invitations are usually sent mid November onwards.

ReputationRep:
    Njjnnn

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.