Cardiff University: architecture course Watch

hrpml17
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi! I'm a portuguese student. I have an offer from Cardiff, Bristol and Northumbria to study architecture and I have until June 8 to give them an answer. I'm having some difficulty in taking a decision. As I can't afford to miss school this days it's almost impossible to me to go to UK universities, and see them. I've talked with some people and they all say that Cardiff would be the better choice. But, from what I've saw it looks like a very classical environment, and not to so artistic and open-mindend like Northumbria looks.
Does someone have studied architecture in Cardiff? If yes, how is the course? Is it given very importance to maths?
QueenTogepi
Badges: 8
Report 3 months ago
Hi !

I don't study at Cardiff or Bristol (I guess when you say Bristol you mean UWE?) or Northumbria but I will try to help. I am a french student so you'll have the perspective of an international student.
Just to give you a little background, I started studying architecture & environmental engineering in 2014 at UWE. Long story short, I dropped out in February in first year because there was a lot of work and I didn't have the maturity to go through it. I then started studying Engineering Mathematics at UoB (University of Bristol) and I'll be graduating this year. What I can definitely tell is that Bristol is a beautiful city. I don't know if you know London but it feels a bit like a mini version of London. It's smaller and more liveable than London such that you have everything there (shops, restaurants, clubs...) but it's not too crowded. UWE is no in the city centre so unless you want to have a 30 minutes bus journey to travel to and from uni every day, you might want to live on campus in Frenchay at least for first year. If I can remember, there is a small grocery shop on campus but that was 5 years ago so it might have changed.
When I was at UWE, I remember the staff to be very helpful and friendly. The Architecture building is quite new so they have really good facilities and a lot of studio space. They did not give you your own dedicated studio space when I was there but maybe it has changed. UWE used to be

I was in Cardiff just yesterday so I'll give you some of my impressions. The city is very nice. It's not really big but it's a capital city so I guess you'll find everything you need there. The architecture building is called "Bute Building". It is quite old and very impressive from the outside. There is a park right next to it as well. The facilities I would say do not look as good as they are at UWE simply because the building is older (so it doesn't look as fresh as they are at UWE). However, I found the place to have a very nice atmosphere where you could feel the artistic energy if you know what I mean. At Cardiff, students have their dedicated studio space which is big enough for you to have an A1 drawing board and a laptop. I found that really nice as I didn't have that at UWE. The staff that was present yesterday was really friendly as well. Also, the university is super close to the city centre (10 minutes walk) so maybe it might be easier as an international student to get around and get used to the place than at UWE.

You might have understood that I'm gonna study architecture in september (yep, after 4 years of engineering maths, I'm going to be a first year again). I also got an offer from Cardiff and UWE and decided to firm Cardiff. I'm not sure I understand what you mean with the "classical environment" but from my understanding, the course in Cardiff is quite balanced between technical and artistic content. The students I got to talk to there have not described the course to be really maths-heavy so you should be fine.

If I'm not mistaken, Northumbia is in Newcastle? I've only been to Newcastle once so you might want to take this comment with a pinch of salt. From what I've heard, there's a part of the city centre that is really unsafe at night. That made my parents to be really worried about me being there if I was to study there. They were especially worried about the fact that they would not be there for me if there was a problem as they are super far away! That's the onyl thing I know about Newcastle. Several locals have told us that it is indeed unsafe at night in some parts of the centre but it would be better for you to make your own research or if a current student could invalidate/validate that.

That's it. I hope this was helpful (sorry if it wasn't). Even if I don't currently study in any of these universities, I thought I would give you my thoughts on the cities and courses when I could so you can have some directions if you decide to do more research on them (which I strongly encourage!). If you decide to study at Cardiff, maybe we'll meet in September !
S.shokar17
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am not International student but I chose cardiff and it does look International friendly. I will start this September 😊
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Cardiff University
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by S.shokar17)
I am not International student but I chose cardiff and it does look International friendly. I will start this September 😊
@S.shokar17

That's great, we look forward to meeting you!

Do you have any questions that you would like to ask about living and studying at Cardiff University?
Poppy200o
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The Cardiff Architecture course is different from other universities as it incorporates the Masters with the Bachelors as a course together but is it possible to move to a different university for Architecture after the 3 years required for Bachelors is finished. I find that students often do this but is it allowed by the course?
(Original post by Cardiff University)
@S.shokar17

That's great, we look forward to meeting you!

Do you have any questions that you would like to ask about living and studying at Cardiff University?
Cardiff University
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
@Poppy200o,

Thanks for the message. It does not state whether this is possible on our website, so I would contact our School of Architecture on [email protected] They should be able to answer any questions you have about the course.

Is there anything else we can help with?

Sophie
(Original post by Poppy200o)
The Cardiff Architecture course is different from other universities as it incorporates the Masters with the Bachelors as a course together but is it possible to move to a different university for Architecture after the 3 years required for Bachelors is finished. I find that students often do this but is it allowed by the course?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

Are cats selfish

Yes (128)
60.66%
No (83)
39.34%

Watched Threads