Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A scandal emerged earlier this year - the IAAF (governing athletics body) accepted almost half a milli in bribes from the 2nd best female marathoner of all time - Now looking at people like Paula Radcliffe and comparable athletes, I'm starting to think there's no way these guys are clean.

ReputationRep:
    Cool. Being pessimistic must be so fun.

ReputationRep:
    If they are Russian.

15 Sochi gold medal winners have just been found doping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackened_sky)
    Cool. Being pessimistic must be so fun.
    Not really, especially when it seems so widespread. I mean it was rife in pro cycling from the 90's to until Lance got caught, and then afterward everyone admitted that they were only a handful of riders who weren't doping. So it seems that it's probably the same for a sport like running, which also has so much more money than cycling ( although cycling has been getting bigger since 2012). I mean, when Paula radcliffe can run a marathon almost 5 minutes faster than the next best of all time - who was doped up throughout, you gotta wonder at least, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UTG8)
    Not really, especially when it seems so widespread. I mean it was rife in pro cycling from the 90's to until Lance got caught, and then afterward everyone admitted that they were only a handful of riders who weren't doping. So it seems that it's probably the same for a sport like running, which also has so much more money than cycling ( although cycling has been getting bigger since 2012). I mean, when Paula radcliffe can run a marathon almost 5 minutes faster than the next best of all time - who was doped up throughout, you gotta wonder at least, right?
    We have a saying, 'innocent until proven guilty' .. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...legations-iaaf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackened_sky)
    We have a saying, 'innocent until proven guilty' .. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...legations-iaaf
    This is the same IAAF whose senior most officials took bribes from Shobukhova, who by the way has never had a positive drug test result, even after she admitted to being doped up the whole time. Drug testing in athletics just isn't black and white, And the top level athletes have the resources and backing, not only of corporations but athletics governing bodies. I get your stance, but to not question these performances at the very least is just naive. In any case, drug testing at this level needs to change

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. Look up pro cycling in the 90s, the Festina and gewiss team had million pound doctors on their payroll, and cycling had way more stringent and often drug testing than Athletics. And even now, Man Utd's player payroll can cover the entire world tour field, all 150+ riders, including guys like Chris Froome. So athletes in sports like running easily the resources to do this stuff. Athletics, particularly things like triathlon and marathon have a massive doping problem. The IAAF and UCI, like alcoholics in denial, won't admit they have a problem so long as they can keep it secret, and of course guys like Lance won't come clean because they will lose absolutely everything.

ReputationRep:
    Man like Sakho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pablo Picasso)
    Man like Sakho
    Yeah but difference is Sakho was taking stuff coz he was fat, not because he needed an edge to win :P

And yeah they all are. radcliffe running a marathon 5 mins faster than all the doped up athletes? 5 minutes in a world of marginal gains? she ran a 67.30 split for that, and her fastest ever HALF marathon is just under 67 mins. No way she's full natty brah, truth is we live in an age where people take stuff to get themselves more instagram followers, so when the stakes are winning at the very top, you bet they're doping.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think footballers and stuff would, but they're only playing 90 mins not running or cycling for like 6 hours. Idk looking more into athletics and cycling they seem ridiculously shady, but i would be surprised if the top top guys like mo farah etc did anything, because part of being at the top means more scrutiny right? and also there's no hard evidence. that said, yeah the governing bodies, esp IAAF seem dodgy and also top level guys like lance armstrong were part of sophisticated operations so yeah i can easily see how they'd get away with it. It would be a mistake to just accuse them but I'm not gonna stick my head in the ground, there should probs be more transparency and test more often

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion all top athletes dope

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.