Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering how you would structure the essay answer for the aqa english literature unit 1, how many paragraphs to do and what formula to go by in terms of content. I seem to be ok with the ideas and themes etc. to do with book and play we've studied which is 'The Crucible' and 'To Kill a Mockingbird', but I seem to struggle with where to start when writing. I go a bit all over the place and then get carried away with an answer. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Well, for the Part A section of To Kill a Mockingbird, I usually look for five methods in the text and then expand on them, building in a variety and then commenting on the effect of this method. Then for the Part B, my teacher recommends to choose around three to four good points, making sure to build in context such as the KKK and the Great Depression.
    We actually have an acronym for Part B:
    Family (the different families portrayed in the book e.g. the Ewells, Cunninghams, Finches, Radleys)
    Racism
    Education
    Depression

I'm not sure about the Crucible since we've done An Inspector Calls, so sorry I can't really help much with that!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elena.11)
    I was just wondering how you would structure the essay answer for the aqa english literature unit 1, how many paragraphs to do and what formula to go by in terms of content. I seem to be ok with the ideas and themes etc. to do with book and play we've studied which is 'The Crucible' and 'To Kill a Mockingbird', but I seem to struggle with where to start when writing. I go a bit all over the place and then get carried away with an answer. Thanks!
    Seems like you have a problem with getting your ideas down in a coherent manner? If this is the case, you have to learn to plan in timed conditions. This is the only way to tackle your problem.

If there was a question like "How does Lee present the injustice of characters from Maycomb and how does this tell the reader about the society the novel is set?"

You need to break down the question. The question is asking you about theme and characterization but leaning towards the former, theme. Then it's asking you to relate your answer back to the historical, social and cultural context of the text.

So, of course your main essay will be looking perhaps either how women are presented as an unequal gender to compared to the men. Or you can obviously look at black people's struggles. Or if you're bold, even look at how children are seen to have a disadvantage in society.

I would perhaps focus on two things to show you understand the novel.

Intro/Paragraph 1 - explaining which themes you'll explore like race and children.

Paragraph 2 - will be about race and linking it to the accused, Tom Robinson who is put on trial for raping a white girl. You will talk about the trial of course, also how the black people have to sit in a separate area, above the white people. You then link this with segregation in the 50s/60s and also etc.

Paragraph 3 - Children and how they are treated as "mere children in an adult world". They are often alienated from the grown ups such as they are not allowed at the court house, Calpurnia is often ambiguous with Scout when she asks questions, they have to play in their own world, outside of reality from the adult world to protect their innocence. You can relate this to the rising crime of the South and the dangers of the outside world - use the mad dog as an example.

Conclusion/Paragraph 4 - combing how the two themes you've discussed link together with references to context.

Remember, a paragraph isn't just "6 lines". You can have your main paragraph that tackle a subject of race and then you can have sub-topics of race such as the trial, the backstory of the rape claim, when Atticus (or some character) visited the black neighbourhood, etc.

Hope this helps more!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    Hope this helps more!
    Yes! Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosesareblue1234)
    Well, for the Part A section of To Kill a Mockingbird, I usually look for five methods in the text and then expand on them, building in a variety and then commenting on the effect of this method. Then for the Part B, my teacher recommends to choose around three to four good points, making sure to build in context such as the KKK and the Great Depression.
    We actually have an acronym for Part B:
    Family (the different families portrayed in the book e.g. the Ewells, Cunninghams, Finches, Radleys)
    Racism
    Education
    Depression

I'm not sure about the Crucible since we've done An Inspector Calls, so sorry I can't really help much with that!
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    So would the layout be similar for the poetry exam, obviously it will be more about structure, form, techniques language etc. but would it be a similar outline?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.